tashkent46
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...d-his-benefits

So we have a system where you have to wait for six weeks for an initial payment (despite the fact most people pays bills monthly already setting them in the red).

Then once we have given people this minuscule amount of money we encourage them to find work.

But, we take money off of them for every hour they work and have to constantly reassess this income. So they're better off being on benefits than they are working until they work full time for just over minimum wage.

Unable to get most people jobs we shove them doing voluntary work for organisations that the free market should dictate being paying a minimum wage or failing, despite having a national minimum wage law.

For people like that man who starved to death from the article, they have to navigate this system without computer literacy while dealing with severe anxiety and a DWP that outsources assessments to health advisers that discard medical evidence from actual doctors. The government has spent more fighting court cases that have been overturned than it has saved in benefit fraud.

What the hell is this madness?
Last edited by tashkent46; 4 weeks ago
Kitten in boots
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's called compassionate conservatism.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The system is designed to be as bureaucratic and unhelpful as possible. "Hostile environments" don't just stop at immigration.

(Original post by tashkent46)
For people like that man who starved to death from the article, they have to navigate this system without computer literacy while dealing with severe anxiety and a DWP that outsources assessments to health advisers that discard medical evidence from actual doctors. The government has spent more fighting court cases that have been overturned than it has saved in benefit fraud.

What the hell is this madness?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Daniel_Blake
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Guardian sets out to emotionally manipulate people on the back of a man's death, just to keep a long tradition going.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
The Guardian sets out to emotionally manipulate people on the back of a man's death, just to keep a long tradition going.
Whereas to right wingers, the death of a person on benefits is just natural wastage, beneficial to the bottom line.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Whereas to right wingers, the death of a person on benefits is just natural wastage, beneficial to the bottom line.
That's pretty poor but still in character for a lefty, can you tell us why the man's benefits were halted?
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
That's pretty poor but still in character for a lefty, can you tell us why the man's benefits were halted?
I didn't do it! Why are you asking me?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Tories...
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by z-hog)
He missed an appointment, so they fined him 3 months money during which time he starved.
The man had a history of serious mental illness, but they cut him off anyway.
They are being investigated.
Delusion6
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
anyone reading this just remember if they do ever cut your benefits - APPEAL, APPEAL, APPEAL. tell them straightaway that you're going to appeal the decision and tell them to send you whatever forms you need in order to appeal it. also if they stop your money, you can still get income support, all you have to do is send in sick notes from your doctor to the DWP every month. appeals can take up to a year to come through but they cannot prevent you from having any money, its your basic human right. it might be stressful, it might be hard work but its worth it in the end. never stop fighting for it. get a friend, family member or neighbour to fill in the forms for you and help you gather whatever info you need and attend the appeal with you (the appeal itself is not scary at all, I've been with several family members. remember they are always on your side, you just have to explain your story to them. 90% of cases always win so I heard) and if you don't have anyone to do it for you then go to the citizens advice bureau and get someone to help you there. there are always options. don't let these a-holes win.
monkeybest
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What were his family doing while he was in his flat alone? Very easy to blame the state for everything and clearly they must have a huge amount of guilt for essentially ignoring him during his time in need. Clearly his situation didnt happen overnight so what where his children doing, very easy for daughter in law to search for someone to blame post incident
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
He missed an appointment, so they fined him 3 months money during which time he starved.
The man had a history of serious mental illness, but they cut him off anyway.
They are being investigated.
He should have ate the staff so he wouldn't have starved.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The Labour MP Debbie Abrahams, who raised the case in Parliament on Monday, said...
That's what I mean by lefties having to attach themselves to every emotionally manipulative situation they can find in order to survive.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by monkeybest)
What were his family doing while he was in his flat alone? Very easy to blame the state for everything and clearly they must have a huge amount of guilt for essentially ignoring him during his time in need. Clearly his situation didnt happen overnight so what where his children doing, very easy for daughter in law to search for someone to blame post incident
Wrong narrative, the idea is that the State is responsible for everyone from the cradle to the grave. Nobody is responsible for themselves or anybody else, we need a social worker allocated to go with us everywhere and if that doesn't happen... we have a problem. Forget the family, they do their best to bury that notion for practical reasons. Big State is what we need, or so we are told by Debbs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (479)
59.43%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.33%
No- I want it (231)
28.66%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.58%

Watched Threads