The Student Room Group

Studying law at a non-Russel Group university

How important is it to have a law degree from a Russel group university with regard to employability? I am an international student and I’ve applied to Edinburgh, Liverpool, Exeter, Southampton and Leicester. I’ve received and offer from Leicester and I’m really liking the prospect of the university. I’m still waiting for offers from the other universities as I only applied on the 15th of January.

I aspire to practice as a solicitor in the Uk, either at an international firm or a “MC” firm in London.

Thank you for any feedback in advance.
You don't need to be at a RG uni to be successful in your later career, the only advantage they'd have is in that they'd probably have a wee bit more exposure to firms than some unis, but even that isn't everything.

Just focus on getting good grades and taking on plenty of extra curriculars. If you score a first class degree and you have the experience behind you, then you're sure to do well whether it's a RG or not.
Russell Group ..
Original post by RogerOxon
Russell Group ..

It hurts every time
Reply 4
Original post by MidgetFever
You don't need to be at a RG uni to be successful in your later career, the only advantage they'd have is in that they'd probably have a wee bit more exposure to firms than some unis, but even that isn't everything.

Just focus on getting good grades and taking on plenty of extra curriculars. If you score a first class degree and you have the experience behind you, then you're sure to do well whether it's a RG or not.

Thank you !
Reply 5
Thank you for your response!

Sorry, I should’ve said “American firms in London”

What is your opinion regarding Leicester’s law program and it’s benefits?
Reply 6
Original post by RogerOxon
Russell Group ..

Apologies, auto-correct.

However, a more informative response would have been be a better contribution.
I think that there is no significant increase in your likelihood to succeed within the law if you attend a Russell Group University. However, I do think it is made harder. The only people I have known that have jobs at the 'MC' firms that attended a non-Russell group University are those that work in HR or had contacts which allowed them to gain work experience and build up their portfolio. However, it is important to recognize that Russell Group does not always mean better. I am a second-year law student at the University of Exeter and my opinion, along with many others, on the law school is highly negative.
Reply 8
This will be useful to you: Law firms preferred universities
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Rugbee
This will be useful to you: Law firms preferred universities

But OP also needs to take into account s points about Chambers being misleading because - as one example - it does not take into account the size of various Law schools

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6247090
Reply 10
Original post by summercloud
I think that there is no significant increase in your likelihood to succeed within the law if you attend a Russell Group University. However, I do think it is made harder. The only people I have known that have jobs at the 'MC' firms that attended a non-Russell group University are those that work in HR or had contacts which allowed them to gain work experience and build up their portfolio. However, it is important to recognize that Russell Group does not always mean better. I am a second-year law student at the University of Exeter and my opinion, along with many others, on the law school is highly negative.

Hi,
Thank you for your response. May I ask what your ‘highly negative’ views are ? I’ve applied to Exeter and It’s my second choice behind Edinburgh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending