The Student Room Group

Best friends starting to really annoy me...

I’ve known this girl for around 7 years now, used to catch the bus with her to secondary school and she always used to annoy me a little but I never spent that much time with her so it was ok.

She’s only been my best friend for the past year and half, mainly cause I struggle to make new friends (put too much pressure on myself worrying about them liking me that I can’t make conversation easily) and I stopped talking to the majority of my school friends. Recently she’s really started to annoy me, she just comes out with so much crap you didn’t ask about and is quite self-centred, she’s nice but just can’t stop talking about herself and it just gets old really quickly cause she often barely shows any interest in what you’ve been doing (which would make up for her talking about herself and I wouldn’t mind it).

anyway recently she’s texting me almost everyday with ****ty small talk and I just cba with it, would rather just talk every few weeks when we meet up or when something interesting happens. I’ve made a few friends in my new course that I get along with great so idk if I just feel less reliant on her for friendship or what (I have been getting irritated easily recently, I get seasonal depression). Had a great time with her the other day when she came over but she just pisses me off when not in person (and in person sometimes).

Anyway how do I deal with this? I don’t want to hurt her cause she has been there for me through a tough time but I just can’t cope with her talking to me all the time I feel smothered and it’s just really boring...
I can somewhat relate to this (I also get SAD n it’s truly the worst but spring soon?!) I’m pretty reliant on my current friendship group and I’ve known them all for years now so it’s just been easier to stay that way it’s become toxic with most of us hating more people in the group than liking them, I would say to keep her as a friend but also to branch out with you other friends ask to sit with them sometimes and if your other friend is also reliant on you (ie doesn’t have any other friends) she could perhaps join too, if she becomes annoyed because you’re making other friends than it’s not the kind of friendship you want to have where you limit who you can spend time with (assuming you never said she couldn’t spend time with other friends)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I can somewhat relate to this (I also get SAD n it’s truly the worst but spring soon?!) I’m pretty reliant on my current friendship group and I’ve known them all for years now so it’s just been easier to stay that way it’s become toxic with most of us hating more people in the group than liking them, I would say to keep her as a friend but also to branch out with you other friends ask to sit with them sometimes and if your other friend is also reliant on you (ie doesn’t have any other friends) she could perhaps join too, if she becomes annoyed because you’re making other friends than it’s not the kind of friendship you want to have where you limit who you can spend time with (assuming you never said she couldn’t spend time with other friends)

She doesn’t go to my college and my other friends are there - she’s met my best friend from college and likes him but he’s pretty aloof with when he wants to spend time with you (sounds bad but I don’t think he does it cause he doesn’t want to spend time with you he’s just really quite lazy / has other things to do, have spoke to him about it before) and I don’t want to annoy him so I don’t push to spend more time with him, that leaves me with this girl as my only friend outside of college and I don’t see my college friends often outside of school (not likely to change) and it sounds really selfish but I’m scared I’ll be really lonely if I cut her off and I also don’t want to be a *****.

I’m sorry you’re also in a tough situation with friends, it’s not a nice situation to be in!
Original post by Anonymous
She doesn’t go to my college and my other friends are there - she’s met my best friend from college and likes him but he’s pretty aloof with when he wants to spend time with you (sounds bad but I don’t think he does it cause he doesn’t want to spend time with you he’s just really quite lazy / has other things to do, have spoke to him about it before) and I don’t want to annoy him so I don’t push to spend more time with him, that leaves me with this girl as my only friend outside of college and I don’t see my college friends often outside of school (not likely to change) and it sounds really selfish but I’m scared I’ll be really lonely if I cut her off and I also don’t want to be a *****.

I’m sorry you’re also in a tough situation with friends, it’s not a nice situation to be in!

I get you, it’s a really difficult situation when you also want to move from friendships but it’s hard to form good new friendships when you don’t spend that much time with them, I suggest starting some form of club or interest where you could meet new people and have common interest but also it keeps you busy so you feel less lonely, I know it is easier said than done but it can be good to look around your local area perhaps to branch out, but also don’t be put off asking to make plans with your other college friends (I know you said it won’t change but be open minded about it!) Hope you solve your situation soon though x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending