The Student Room Group

A Levels for Medicine

(edited 3 years ago)
One of my friends didn't do maths (she done Chemistry, biology & English) and she received interviews & offers for medicine. As long as you have a good personal statement and UKCAT score I don't think you'll be too disadvantaged in all honesty! Hope this helps x
Obviously this is just one persons experience so can't guarantee how often it occurs, maybe also seek advice from teachers at school to see what they suggest.
Original post by Popcorn989
Hi! I’m considering doing Medicine at university, and I want to do Biology and Chemistry for A-Level (and two humanity subjects- English and Philosophy). Obviously I know that not having Maths might be a disadvantage for a top university- so would you say doing Core Maths, or AS level Maths or a maths course outside of school would demonstrate maths skills? Thank you! I do know that I don’t know everything- so please be patient xxx

As long as you're not applying to Oxford or Cambridge then not having maths shouldn't be a problem at all. Best of luck applying.
Only Cambridge wants applicants to have 3 A-levels in STEM subjects (which can be either maths or physics). All other medical schools don't care what your third A-level is. You may want to browse through 's very useful thread on medicine A-level subject choices and entry requirements here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422
Original post by Popcorn989
Thank you for replying ♥️♥️♥️ That’s great to hear about your friend! I know that Maths is not necessary- but as Medicine is competitive I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions of Maths related courses or something similar to help strengthen my application (e.g. self-studying Core Maths) I hope you have a really lovely day- thanks for replying again ☺️

You won't have time to study Core Maths if you are doing 4 A levels ...

Quick Reply

Latest