The Student Room Group

Week work experience Psychology

Hi
My School is requiring one week work experience as part of my graduation (year 12). Can you give me any advice on how to apply ? Places ?
I have a big desire to study Psychology/criminology
Thank you in advance!
Laura
Original post by Laura Medeiros
Hi
My School is requiring one week work experience as part of my graduation (year 12). Can you give me any advice on how to apply ? Places ?
I have a big desire to study Psychology/criminology
Thank you in advance!
Laura

Hi Laura

The two main options for looking for work experience within psychology are with charities and research facilities.

Mental health work has a lot of links to psychology and going to a charity that supports people with mental health problems is great work experience if you're trying to learn about the sector. This also includes charities that work with people with learning difficulties, the elderly or people who've suffered from addiction or substance misuse. If you're interested in criminology, working with organisations like victim support might be worth looking into.

It might be worth drafting up a cover letter explaining who you are and what you're looking for that you can send out to lots of organisations at once - getting work experience can be a bit of a numbers game. Remember that charities are often run with small teams and are quite busy, so don't be surprised if you don't hear back from some of them.

You can have a look on www.charitychoice.co.uk if you want to look up and contact charities. Otherwise, the vinspired.com and do-it.org websites have charities who are actively seeking volunteers - just type in your postcode at you'll see current vacancies in your area.

As for research facilities, these will usually be at local universities. Again, you could draft a letter and send it out to the psychology departments of any universities you'd be able to get to for work experience - you should be able to find contact details on the department page.

Hope this helps - Mark

Quick Reply

Latest