Mythsical
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So I'm considering chemistry, biology, English literature and art. I want to do either an art career or medicine in the future ( ik, they're really different ). Although, I'm also open to other things since I'm not too sure. I was also thinking about maybe swapping one asides from art for film studies or drama. Does anyone have advice on what would be the best combination?
perplexed turtle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mythsical)
So I'm considering chemistry, biology, English literature and art. I want to do either an art career or medicine in the future ( ik, they're really different ). Although, I'm also open to other things since I'm not too sure. I was also thinking about maybe swapping one asides from art for film studies or drama. Does anyone have advice on what would be the best combination?
Keep chem and bio to keep you open for a medicine route
Keep art as it actually helps with medicine applications, or if you want to go down an architecture route
But if you really enjoy drama you should take it- but there is always LAMDA
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would note that A-level Art tends to be an extremely high workload - I certainly wouldn't recommend taking it with three other A-levels. Even with just A-level Art and two other subjects (presumably biology/chemistry if you want to keep medicine as an option open to yourself) it's going to be a big workload.

Doing an art degree (and becoming an "artist" or otherwise) is a very different prospect from medicine, both in the nature of the work and how the courses will be assessed, length of course etc. You will realistically need to make a decision to pursue medicine whole-heartedly or not by the end of year 12, so you have enough time to arrange appropriate work experience and prepare your UCAS application (which for medicine is due earlier than other subjects).

Having some academic background in art is usually useful for applying to art courses and/or art foundation year programmes (the latter being a fairly typical route into creative arts degrees, although arguably a bit less necessary for fine art degrees compared to various design disciplines). My impression for drama/acting courses is that having taken A-level Drama isn't particualrly necessary or beneficial (although it is common) compared to having engaged in acting/theatre opportunities, either through the A-level or in an extracurricular format. I don't know how much benefit A-level Drama is to preparing for auditions for acting schools. By way of comparison A-level Art is quite useful for preparing a portfolio for applying to art courses, as in the course of the A-level you will explore a range of different media and do some more in depth work on one or two pieces usually, and will have been developing a sketchbook (or several) over the two year course, all of which are important for portfolio purposes.

For the art route, you may want to look at PQ's very useful guide to art foundation courses, which as above are a fairly typical path into art/design degrees at uni, here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5017684

On the medicine side of things ecolier might be able to offer some suggestions, although I think you're at a fairly early point in that prospect and really just need to focus more on deciding what route you want to pursue. Ecolier has made a useful thread about Medicine A-level subject choices here which may be helpful to browse: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 I would note A-level Art isn't going to be specifically a benefit for medicine, but won't be a hindrance either; medical schools (except Cambridge) don't really care what your last A-level subject is in, as long as you're going to be getting an A or A* in it realistically.

A field of work/study which may integrate your two interests in art and medical things could be medical illustration; however this is quite a small sector, and you normally won't study that specifically until masters level. Different courses have different requirements; normally a portfolio is required for application, however some medical illustration courses may expect you have a background in biological sciences already as well as a portfolio. Some might take applicants from either background. Might be something to consider more long-term.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 9 months ago
Sophiebxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I am in a similar situation to you were I either want to do medicine or English literature - my A Level subjects are Biology, Chemistry, History and English.
For majority of universities you need to have two sciences to get into medicine, so definitely keep on Biol and Chem. You said that you wanted to keep art on, so I would swap out English Lit because Biol & Chem go nicely together and so do Art & Drama/Film Studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (494)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (610)
41.44%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (300)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.62%

Watched Threads