Sociology help- how to answer this question???

Watch
Jessica.Santos31
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
“Discuss how far sociologists agree that wealthy people are less likely to be punished for crime”
Hey, my teacher set me this question and I am unsure of how to come up with counter arguments because the question itself is a fact.
I can’t argue about White Collar Crime because although it is committed by the upper classes, they are less likely to be punished and/or caught for their crimes.
Advertisement
shamamaa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hiya,

you can carry out your argument about white collar crime, by discussing how they are less likely to be caught and punished because they have enough economic capital to use 'techniques of neutralisation' by hiring a lawyer and making it look as if the crime were an accident etc... You could also say how the CJS is run by affluent people in society and they (because of the media) hold the stereotype that criminals are working class. Therefore you can argue that the CJS are more likely to see crimes committed by the middle class/ wealthy people as a temporary lapse in otherwise conformist behaviour, and therefore let them off.
Jessica.Santos31
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by shamamaa)
Hiya,

you can carry out your argument about white collar crime, by discussing how they are less likely to be caught and punished because they have enough economic capital to use 'techniques of neutralisation' by hiring a lawyer and making it look as if the crime were an accident etc... You could also say how the CJS is run by affluent people in society and they (because of the media) hold the stereotype that criminals are working class. Therefore you can argue that the CJS are more likely to see crimes committed by the middle class/ wealthy people as a temporary lapse in otherwise conformist behaviour, and therefore let them off.
Thank you! <3
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (195)
14.4%
I'm not sure (61)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.03%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.73%
I'm not a current university student (668)
49.34%

Watched Threads