The Student Room Group

Supply teaching - enough work?

Hi, I am due to complete my PGCE in English this year. I want to do a years supply work in primary schools as I have decided I think I would prefer a primary school.

I just wanted some advice as to whether there is enough work with supply agencies to be full time?

Thanks
Original post by emma251993
Hi, I am due to complete my PGCE in English this year. I want to do a years supply work in primary schools as I have decided I think I would prefer a primary school.

I just wanted some advice as to whether there is enough work with supply agencies to be full time?

Thanks

Not sure I know the answer to this. :frown: You may be better contacting some supply agencies and asking them about the rate of work you may be given. I imagine some times of year may be busier than others (I imagine plenty of teachers will be able to work during September, but other months there may be more opportunity for you).
Reply 2
Hi, I've been working with an agency for over a year and june-oct is not great for ful time unless you get an early long term booking e.g. maternity cover. Oct-june there's loads of work as it's prime cold and flu months.
I know someone who has done supply for years. Seems to always get work at least 90% of the time. Though he lives in London and experiences may be different elsewhere. I agree with contacting an agency.
I know people who work for and work in education recruitment. If you're strongly considering supply for a year consider these pointers:
1. Register early, to allow time for the enormous amount of paperwork to be cleared in time for the new academic year.
2. Decide if you want long or short term. If long term, you'll have the same responsibilities as a permanent teacher in many cases, just a warning!
3. If short term, be flexible, be willing to travel and be available. You're more likely to gain regular opportunities.
4. Speak to a variety of agencies, and make sure you choose the one that suits you best - they are sales people after all!
5. There will inevitably be periods where there is less work, compared to others - so have a back up plan if you have financial responsibilities.
6. You'll need a good stock of 'on the go' resources if you're travelling and teaching in all settings and year groups - start hoarding!
7. Don't feel pressured to go to a school if you know it's not for you, but the more work you accept, the more you'll be offered.
8. You're unlikely to be mentored or supported (like you would if you were an NQT in a permanent role), especially if you're going to take on daily work.

Good luck! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest