The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Global*
Reply 2
Meh as far as big scary diseases go it still doesnt seem to rank overly high compared to some of the other horrors floating about in peoples blood streams the world over.
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
Meh as far as big scary diseases go it still doesnt seem to rank overly high compared to some of the other horrors floating about in peoples blood streams the world over.

To be fair, its literally only been a week. Killed mostly those with weak immune systems, but, that was because they had weaker immune systems and therefore corona had an easier time winning the fight. Let's give our boy corona some time and let's see what happens from here.
Original post by Napp

Agreed, but at the same time, it's a new strain of disease thus we don't know the true impact it can have as of yet. It's better to be overly cautious (within reason of course) than to just write it off as just another flu as some are doing. Especially in an age where drug-resistant diseases are a very real possibility.

Original post by Parties
To be fair, its literally only been a week. Killed mostly those with weak immune systems, but, that was because they had weaker immune systems and therefore corona had an easier time winning the fight. Let's give our boy corona some time and let's see what happens from here.

I can't really imagine it'd become much worse though. It's not really in a virus' best interest to kill it's host. But yeah, it's best to keep an eye on it for now and see what happens.
Reply 5
Original post by TheMcSame
Agreed, but at the same time, it's a new strain of disease thus we don't know the true impact it can have as of yet. It's better to be overly cautious (within reason of course) than to just write it off as just another flu as some are doing. Especially in an age where drug-resistant diseases are a very real possibility.

Indeed caution is always prudent but everyone seems to be completely losing their heads when by current accounts this virus is a relative damp squib (so far at least)

I can't really imagine it'd become much worse though. It's not really in a virus' best interest to kill it's host. But yeah, it's best to keep an eye on it for now and see what happens.

True say, although they do have a nasty habit of doing just that.
Reply 6
My family, in HK, has stopped using public transport since last Monday. We only go out a maximum of once per day, and have enough face masks to last until September.
I heard that because of the Vietnam blockage yesterday, 4 people from my church were stranded, but they got a flight back to HK today.
I have a study tour to Japan, which will be a 6d5n trip from 3rd April. I am still waiting for arrangements of the trip, wishing that it can go ahead!
Well we'll see. I have an essay due soon so mass death would help with an excuse
Original post by Napp

Like drugs? 🙂

The BBC always do a sterling job of making things more urgent and serious than they really are. I know that sounds like I'm downplaying the impact the Coronavirus is having and will have-but the media always spreads panic. Back in 2005 when bird flu was doing the rounds, I got super obsessed and traumatised with fright at whether I'd get bird flu and die from it. The end result was obviously I didn't die from it and all the media's constant panic and scaremongering did was prevent me from living my life properly. That's what the media does, always makes us worry and concerned about things that don't affect us-unless on the rare occasion that they do, then listening to the news is a waste of time.
Original post by 8013
My family, in HK, has stopped using public transport since last Monday. We only go out a maximum of once per day, and have enough face masks to last until September.
I heard that because of the Vietnam blockage yesterday, 4 people from my church were stranded, but they got a flight back to HK today.
I have a study tour to Japan, which will be a 6d5n trip from 3rd April. I am still waiting for arrangements of the trip, wishing that it can go ahead!

What's the Vietnam blockage
Original post by Bang Outta Order
What's the Vietnam blockage

sounds like a symptom of the disease :rolleyes:
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
Well we'll see. I have an essay due soon so mass death would help with an excuse

I wouldn't care if all humanity gets wiped out in one go :colone:
sounds like a symptom of the disease :rolleyes:

lol thought it was a new version of the great wall of China...
I wouldn't care if all humanity gets wiped out in one go :colone:

o how edgy :cool:
Original post by JDINCINERATOR
The BBC always do a sterling job of making things more urgent and serious than they really are. I know that sounds like I'm downplaying the impact the Coronavirus is having and will have-but the media always spreads panic. Back in 2005 when bird flu was doing the rounds, I got super obsessed and traumatised with fright at whether I'd get bird flu and die from it. The end result was obviously I didn't die from it and all the media's constant panic and scaremongering did was prevent me from living my life properly. That's what the media does, always makes us worry and concerned about things that don't affect us-unless on the rare occasion that they do, then listening to the news is a waste of time.

They don't do it maliciously, they just report the oddities that are occurring around the world. They'd run out of money/steam/attention reporting the mundanities of the everyday. A big spreading disease is a rare event.
o how edgy :cool:

I know some well fit emo girls though
Reply 17
Like drugs? 🙂

Not sure drugs are communicable but whatever
Original post by Napp
Not sure drugs are communicable but whatever

They do indeed "float about in peoples blood streams"...what were you referring to then...? :lolwut:
Reply 19
They do indeed "float about in peoples blood streams"...what were you referring to then...? :lolwut:

Diseases... i literally said in the comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending