IIBurningAshII
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’m finishing my last year of school this year and I feel like it’s too early to be applying now, especially as on the gov website, nearly all of the openings have a start date of February or so. Do I apply to these ones still?
Steelyio
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IIBurningAshII)
Hi, I’m finishing my last year of school this year and I feel like it’s too early to be applying now, especially as on the gov website, nearly all of the openings have a start date of February or so. Do I apply to these ones still?
No, if the start date is for February that is the start date of the apprenticeship and you would not be able to start then as you are still at school this is for people who have already left, you will start seeing ones for you around March time then it when a lot employers start searching for there next apprentices, just always keep a look out and you can always ask companys directly if they are taking in apprentices. Second year apprentice here
Last edited by Steelyio; 4 weeks ago
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Tagging in Apprenticeships Advice Kier Early Careers IBM Apprentices National Careers Service University of Chichester
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there,

Most apprenticeships are indeed advertising to start soon or immediately so you might not see a lot now that you can apply for. However, some apprenticeships, especially degree ones, start in September to coincide with the academic year. The only way to find this out, however, is to look at the start date on each individual advert.

If there's a particular role or industry you're interested in, it might be worth setting up email alerts to learn about new vacancies when they come out. That way you won't need to keep checking.

Best of luck - Mark
Kier Early Careers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there!

It definitely depends on the business that is advertising. You'll see that most advertised will have a 'start date' on the advert. It is worth having a look at all of these when you are scrolling through. If there are none starting for when you want it is worth setting up job alerts and email notifications.

We started to advertise our vacancies now, ready for a August start date. We'll be getting people to apply throughout February and then be holding interviews/Recruitment days in March and April, meaning students will have a job secured for after their studies.

So some business will advertise now, some will wait till later. Definitely worth your time to keep looking!

Best of luck!
- Max
IBM UK Careers
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there,
The apprenticeships that are open now may be looking for candidates to start immediately. If the dates do not work in your favour, signing up to their email list/notifications will benefit you as they'll contact you as and when applications are open. In terms of IBM, you can register your interest in a role and get email notifications or follow our career social media pages as we update them regularly when applications are open.

We have already opened up our applications for both our Apprenticeships and Degree Apprenticeships. We will have our applications open throughout the year and have waves of assessment centres/interviews from which we will then hire successful candidates which is why we don't have a defined start date in our application forms (e.g. Apprenticeship application open right now states starting in 2020)

Keep looking around and make sure to sign up to any company email notifications or even follow their career social media pages.
Best of luck
- Khamal
University of Chichester
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi IIBurningAshII,

I am an degree apprentice in my first year at the moment and I had the exact same problem when looking for an apprenticeship. My advice would be to hang in there for a while as you don't want to be starting an apprenticeship while still at school, studying is the most important thing at the moment. Don't panic because there will always be apprenticeship roles that come out. Lots of companies are different but most looking for a September start won't be out for another couple of months. The vacancy for my apprenticeship was only released in late July/August for September start.

As other replies have said, signing up to email alerts would be the best thing to do to ensure you don't miss any new vacancies! Remember not to panic and keep looking, you will find one that's right for you!

Good luck,
Sian
Last edited by University of Chichester; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (491)
59.59%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.22%
No- I want it (234)
28.4%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.8%

Watched Threads