Britian to leave EU today Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
After voting to do so in 2016, the U.K. will finally leave the EU today at 11pm. However not all are happy believing it to be a mistake.

Whatever your views on Brexit, this is a momentous day after 3 years of wrangling. The tipping point was undoubtably the smashing majority that Boris Johnson in the GE, something May attempted 2 years before.

It’s the final countdown For our time in the EU.

But it’s nit all over, what will follow is negoations etc (will update this later since I’m writing this while eating my breakfast)

Where do you think the U.K. goes next?
What will you be doing at 11pm?
Do you think we will ever rejoin?
BoreRagnarok
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We are not rejoining. The Terms of our membership would be worse, even to the extent of a lot of remainers opposing it.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Brexit day - the objectively funniest day for the queen to snuff it

Nowhere yet, because in terms of influence on day to day life we won't have left, we'll still be in this transitional stage. In a years time when that finishes and we don't have a trade deal (because it is impossible to negotiate a trade deal in just a year), that's when **** hits the proverbial.

Asleep or curled up reading a book. Not out at a party because I'm not a collosal melt.

Depends on just how badly things go. Not for a while though, in general things are going to get very bad and worse first because fascism is on the march again and is already preparing to co-opt and abuse left wing causes for its own end (see the likes of Jane Goodall espousing eco-fascism as a solution to the climate emergency), which typically means more extreme nationalism and less international cooperation
lionheart27
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Onward and upward.
Drinking wine in celebration.
No.
WazzWazz98
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
After voting to do so in 2016, the U.K. will finally leave the EU today at 11pm. However not all are happy believing it to be a mistake.

Whatever your views on Brexit, this is a momentous day after 3 years of wrangling. The tipping point was undoubtably the smashing majority that Boris Johnson in the GE, something May attempted 2 years before.

It’s the final countdown For our time in the EU.

But it’s nit all over, what will follow is negoations etc (will update this later since I’m writing this while eating my breakfast)

At 11pm I will be doubling over in hysterics
we are in a far worse position...as the transition period means we have no say in EU Matters but must still abide by them. There is no way we can end the transition by 31 December. It's as simple as signing on the dotted line and shouting "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet". There are hundreds of laws to be reversed, contingencies to be arranged (think national security, border force, anything to do with science and engineering, i.e. pharmaceuticals and raw materials, food). The achievement of "sovereignty" from a legal and constitutional perspective could take decades.
EpicChefUK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was never a fan of Britain being without the EU, mostly because the change would be too much for us, and our economy, to handle.

The Brexit vote was one of memory vs. hope. A vote of remembrance to a free Britain and British Empire that was a global superpower without the EU, vs. an understanding that that's not how it works anymore.

But to be honest, I'm glad that this happened, just because it's done.

No more extensions and civil wars about remain vs. leave, deal vs. no deal.
It's done.
We are out.
We have a year ahead of us to tip the scales in our favour, and while I'll certainly miss the EU, I'm hoping that the UK's free future is a promising one.

We are in our crucial years of growth and development. And so the future we will be faced with is a future without the EU and a future we will need to get used to is a future without the EU.

Will this mean prosperity? Will it mean turmoil?
At the moment nobody knows. There is still a lot of uncertainty.

Wishing all the best to all students in the UK for the future. An independent future, whether good or bad.

We are Generation Z and we go forth together.

All the best, M
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EpicChefUK)
I was never a fan of Britain being without the EU, mostly because the change would be too much for us, and our economy, to handle.

The Brexit vote was one of memory vs. hope. A vote of remembrance to a free Britain and British Empire that was a global superpower without the EU, vs. an understanding that that's not how it works anymore.

But to be honest, I'm glad that this happened, just because it's done.

No more extensions and civil wars about remain vs. leave, deal vs. no deal.
It's done.
We are out.
We have a year ahead of us to tip the scales in our favour, and while I'll certainly miss the EU, I'm hoping that the UK's free future is a promising one.

We are in our crucial years of growth and development. And so the future we will be faced with is a future without the EU and a future we will need to get used to is a future without the EU.

Will this mean prosperity? Will it mean turmoil?
At the moment nobody knows. There is still a lot of uncertainty.

Wishing all the best to all students in the UK for the future. An independent future, whether good or bad.

We are Generation Z and we go forth together.

All the best, M
This is the way forward, fair play Epic.
The truth of the matter is that we are now the masters of our own destinies, you can either curl up in a little ball or accept what is happening and get on with things.
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Brexit day - the objectively funniest day for the queen to snuff it

Nowhere yet, because in terms of influence on day to day life we won't have left, we'll still be in this transitional stage. In a years time when that finishes and we don't have a trade deal (because it is impossible to negotiate a trade deal in just a year), that's when **** hits the proverbial.

Asleep or curled up reading a book. Not out at a party because I'm not a collosal melt.

Depends on just how badly things go. Not for a while though, in general things are going to get very bad and worse first because fascism is on the march again and is already preparing to co-opt and abuse left wing causes for its own end (see the likes of Jane Goodall espousing eco-fascism as a solution to the climate emergency), which typically means more extreme nationalism and less international cooperation
I can tell you need a break.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Last night was an epic display of sensible nationalism.

If Boris is strong, we become like Singapore. Small and powerful crown jewel economy in Europe. The level playing field cannot be allowed to exist. It's only wanted by people who are incapable of competition when a natural level playing field already exists

I was partying.

There will always be some hardcore remoaners who want to rejoin at any cost. Brexit will be a huge success and British people will not feel the need to rejoin
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Last night was an epic display of sensible nationalism.

If Boris is strong, we become like Singapore. Small and powerful crown jewel economy in Europe. The level playing field cannot be allowed to exist. It's only wanted by people who are incapable of competition when a natural level playing field already exists

I was partying.

There will always be some hardcore remoaners who want to rejoin at any cost. Brexit will be a huge success and British people will not feel the need to rejoin
Brace yourself...
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
Brace yourself...
Quote me on it 2 years from now when people have forgotten all about Brexit
EpicChefUK
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
This is the way forward, fair play Epic.
The truth of the matter is that we are now the masters of our own destinies, you can either curl up in a little ball or accept what is happening and get on with things.
Exactly.
We can never go back and change anything that has happened in the world, however horrific. What has happened has happened.
It is up to us to decide what that means for us personally.
Yes, it will affect our futures, but how is our and only our choice.

M
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I originally wanted the UK to leave back in 2015, but I was a soft remain, because I didn't think we were in the position to leave, especially under the Conservatives. I think more benefits would have come from leaving under a Corbyn government, as there would be a leader who is Eurosceptic for reasons concerning the everyday man and has voted against his party for issues I agree with rather than Boris who only cares about top bankers and making London a new tax haven.

The timing of the referendum made it a complete cluster**** with an incompetent leader May who was one of the most useless PMs there has been.

and not only has the past few decades shown how incompetent and selfish the Tories are, but when one leader of the party resigns because of the referendum, the dummies then go and appoint a leader who campaigned for the opposite of the referendum result, wasting so much time and money.

I originally wanted the UK to leave the EU, because it became something which we weren't aware it would have been 30 years ago and I feel the country became trapped. Lots of negatives with EU membership, but I Just didn't trust David Cameron or the Tories with it, so I became a soft remain.

So it's hard to feel one way or the other. I think theres a lot of people who supported the leave campaign who have no idea of the implications, but then theres a lot of people who supported the remain campaign who blow everything out of proportion.

Either way the rich will remain rich and the poor will remain poor and as longing as this selfish government is in power, the gap between the two will grow.

Also we had that daft woman Jo Swinson and the daft man who ran the party before thinking they could win by "stopping brexit" - how much of an idiot do you have to be to think you would win based on this; even if you supported remain, if they didn't listen to public concerns on this, what else will they ignore ? Tuition fee cap promise was already broken, that party of morons just dig a deeper hole.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (361)
66.98%
No (178)
33.02%

Watched Threads