The Student Room Group

Criminology MPhil Cambridge 2020 Applicants

Hey everyone, just thought the Criminology applicants could use this thread to update each other on application progression!

Moderation Note: The sharing of off-site group chats, social media handles and phone numbers is not allowed on TSR to keep our community safe, so please do not share any personal details on the public forum. If you have any questions, please come and talk to us in Ask The Community Staff. You can find more information on staying safe on TSR here.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LawGrad_
Hey everyone, just thought the Criminology applicants could use this thread to update each other on application progression!

You'd probably do better posting in the Postgrad forum where the main Cam PG update thread is.
Original post by LawGrad_

Hello!

I’ve only just submitted so probably too soon for me to be of much help to you! Have you applied elsewhere or only Cambridge?
Hello! I have applied for the MPhil in Criminological Research. Still at the Degree Committee stage of the application.
Updated to GAO today!
Reply 5
Moved to GAO for MPhil in Criminology!
Timeline:
Submitted - 6th Dec
Degree Committee - 17th Jan
GAO - 4th Feb
Good luck all!
Hi all! Received an offer for the Crim Research MPhil earlier this week. Still waiting for college placement. Any idea how long that usually takes?
Reply 7
Hi everyone! I haven't applied yet and I know that the application deadline is in March, but do you know if the admissions are on rolling bases and the degree could get filled up? In other words, is there any point in applying this late? Thanks and congrats to those who have received an offer and good luck to the rest who are still waiting!
(edited 4 years ago)
Received an offer for MPhil in Criminological Research last week - I’m so excited! Now just crossing my fingers for colleges and funding... Crca97 - Criminology admissions are on a rolling basis but I would still submit an application if you are interested. I think there will be spots available until the deadline closes.
Reply 9
Original post by crca97
Hi everyone! I haven't applied yet and I know that the application deadline is in March, but do you know if the admissions are on rolling bases and the degree could get filled up? In other words, is there any point in applying this late? Thanks and congrats to those who have received an offer and good luck to the rest who are still waiting!

There are definitely still spots/potential for offers to be given - if the course gets filled up Cambridge change the closing date for applications and close the application window. Even if a number of offers have already been given there no telling how many will actually accept e.g. many may not be awarded funding so they cannot attend. In addition, a number of applications for Criminology MPhil over the years have been put 'on hold' and reconsidered upon the closing of the window so that the department can see if better candidates apply and then make offers/rejections to those candidates on hold and the later applicants.

So in short, it is definitely still worth applying, but I would move fast as all references must be in by the time of the closing date; as academic referees are notoriously slow at completing references it may be best to submit ASAP and make your referees aware of the deadline.
Reply 10
Delilah6227 - Congrats, that's really amazing! Hope you get the funding as well.

LawGrad_ - Wow thanks for the detailed response, you seem to know a lot about this. That really helped, I think I needed some reassurance. I am already in the process of applying, still waiting for one reference so hopefully my application will be submitted within a week!
I posted this in the main applicants thread, but thought I'd share here too in case it's relevant :-)

If anyone's undergrad institution is giving you the option to pass/fail the semester due to the coronavirus/virtual learning disruption and you're not how it will affect your Cambridge offer, here's what they told me (tl;dr as long as you graduate with the necessary GPA you're fine):

"Thank you for your email.

We are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and recognise that its impact may create uncertainty and new challenges for our offer holders and future students.

If your current study would still show a final GPA grade once you have completed your degree then this should not be an issue in terms of completing your Bachelor’s academic condition. For any cases where a grading scheme does not comply with our or NARIC’s international equivalency information then we would refer the application back to the department for a decision.

Our recent email communication sent to you provides the very latest guidance to Graduate Admissions Office processes, as well as information relating to your offer and its conditions. Of course, as the situation develops, any updates will be communicated to you as soon as possible. We will also be updating our dedicated webpage, which we recommend you check regularly.

Please be assured that we will continue to do all we can to support you and minimise the impact this pandemic may have on your admission to the University. We appreciate your patience and understanding in these exceptional circumstances."
Hi guys! I applied to Mphil Crim for 2021 admission and I really wanted to know where I stand in terms of my chances of getting in.
I would love to know the academic background of you guys! WOuld really help :smile:
Original post by kimmi136
Hi guys! I applied to Mphil Crim for 2021 admission and I really wanted to know where I stand in terms of my chances of getting in.
I would love to know the academic background of you guys! WOuld really help :smile:

Hi! I am applying too for the 2021 entry, did you get any news back yet?
Original post by majoseab

Nooo :frown: unfortunately not yet....u?
Nooo :frown: unfortunately not yet....u?

I am still waiting for my referees to upload their letters so my application is complete :shifty:
Reply 16

Hey, I've applied too! I'm trying not to get my hopes up as I know my academic background isn't amazing. I've got 64% in my second year, but I've got 79% in my Criminal Law exam, a Criminal Law based dissertation, and relevant work experience/volunteering as well (alongside extracurriculars but I'm assuming they won't care too much about those). I'm hoping they'll see potential and give me a conditional, but I'm trying not to put all my eggs in one basket, as it were. Would love to hear about your academic background as well!
Original post by majoseab

Hey, I submitted my application on Nov 16 and received an offer on Dec 04. I'm awaiting college membership and funding decisions now. All the very best for your application!
Original post by alb1999
Hey, I've applied too! I'm trying not to get my hopes up as I know my academic background isn't amazing. I've got 64% in my second year, but I've got 79% in my Criminal Law exam, a Criminal Law based dissertation, and relevant work experience/volunteering as well (alongside extracurriculars but I'm assuming they won't care too much about those). I'm hoping they'll see potential and give me a conditional, but I'm trying not to put all my eggs in one basket, as it were. Would love to hear about your academic background as well!

You should never lose hope; after all, that's all you've got. Unlike you, my grades in criminal law students weren't that great and I graduated with a CGPA of 3.65/4. I submitted my application on Nov 16 and received an offer on Dec 04. They're looking for your unwavering commitment towards the subject and the resources that the Institute of Criminology has to offer.
Original post by Karan Mphil Crim
Hey, I submitted my application on Nov 16 and received an offer on Dec 04. I'm awaiting college membership and funding decisions now. All the very best for your application!

Congrats! Thank you! I am still waiting for my referees to upload their letters :frown: I hope the places don't get filled before the deadline

Latest

Trending

Trending