The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Did Well 1st/2nd Years, But Majorly Burning Out in the 3rd

I'm currently studying Mathematics at Cardiff University. I did really well 1st and 2nd years, hitting 70-80% across the majority of modules. I knew I had to work hard this year and that I couldn't rest on my laurels, and yet I have burned out.

In the January exams I walked out of all three after an hour: I'll be surprised if I pass any. I have no motivation for the new semester's modules, and the double semester research project I'm doing is about as engaging as counting grass sheaths in a field.

I think one of the reasons for this is that in the first two years I was in a band. That took up so much time and was such a creative outlet that I had to focus on the degree without contemplating failure or anything other than doing a good job. At the start of this year I left the band to really focus on this year...but now because I have more time I realise that I hate the way universities are run, I hate the student mentality, I don't actually find maths that interesting, and I'm not interested in using a degree for my career.

A lot of people I've spoken too keep saying 'keep going, only one semester left', but now that I've failed modules, this must not be true? Surely I'll have to resit in August, or even resit the year? I definitely don't want that - I'd honestly rather drop out now.

I'm asking for some details in how many credits someone needs to graduate and if anyone else has been in a similar position and can offer more substantial advice than 'keep on going' or 'take a gap year and come back next year'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending