zafreenfarooque
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi
I'm about to fail my placement.
Uni have given me the choice of withdraw or defer due to health issues.
If I defer, apparently I don't pay back the student loan straight away.
The times I have been observed teaching have all resulted in failure and I even though I tried I can't pass the observation, leaving me so low and depressed.
I now think it's better doing something else but i'm low income and also don't know if my choice will affect my universal credit.
Can anyone help?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by zafreenfarooque)
Hi
The times I have been observed teaching have all resulted in failure and I even though I tried I can't pass the observation, leaving me so low and depressed.
I now think it's better doing something else but i'm low income and also don't know if my choice will affect my universal credit.
Can anyone help?
Any money you've been given by student finance won't need to be paid back unless you're earning a lot. If you withdraw from the course, I don't *think* you will be required to pay anything straight away you will simply have the debt of what you've already been paid. (I am 80% confident this is correct, best to check with student finance yourself). If you're confident that teaching is not for you then I don't think deferring is the best option. You're not going to enjoy it by the sounds of your experience so far, so I don't think there's really any need for you to pretend you're still interested. I hope this helps, and I hope you feel a lot better soon.
zafreenfarooque
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Any money you've been given by student finance won't need to be paid back unless you're earning a lot. If you withdraw from the course, I don't *think* you will be required to pay anything straight away you will simply have the debt of what you've already been paid. (I am 80% confident this is correct, best to check with student finance yourself). If you're confident that teaching is not for you then I don't think deferring is the best option. You're not going to enjoy it by the sounds of your experience so far, so I don't think there's really any need for you to pretend you're still interested. I hope this helps, and I hope you feel a lot better soon.
Thanks a lot xx
Get into Teaching
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi
Can anyone help?
Hello,

It sounds like you are really having a tough time of it at the moment and I wish you all the best for better health soon.

If you choose to withdraw from your place, you may reapply for Sept 2020, and I would suggest looking elsewhere. Just because this provider hasn't been able to meet your needs, it doesn't mean you have to give up your ambition of becoming a teacher. If you need any help with an application for another teacher training course, please do not hesitate to ask!

Jane
zafreenfarooque
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hello,

It sounds like you are really having a tough time of it at the moment and I wish you all the best for better health soon.

If you choose to withdraw from your place, you may reapply for Sept 2020, and I would suggest looking elsewhere. Just because this provider hasn't been able to meet your needs, it doesn't mean you have to give up your ambition of becoming a teacher. If you need any help with an application for another teacher training course, please do not hesitate to ask!

Jane
Thanks Jane
FormerTeacher
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi
Can anyone help?
Sorry to hear this... Have you had plenty of support, guidance and advice along the way? Are you getting feedback so you know areas for concern? Do you intrinsically want to teach and would carry on if you were supported over this hurdle? I'm asking these questions, but if you have a fire in your belly to teach, I wonder whether transfer to another provider/institute/set of schools might help?
Did your professional mentor sit and discuss everything with you along the way? If you're definitely decided about not teaching, could the Uni transfer you onto another course, is there anything else you'd be interested in that they offer?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (493)
59.61%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.2%
No- I want it (235)
28.42%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.77%

Watched Threads