s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm a textiles student and want to turn my hand drawings/paintings into digital prints on fabric. Usually I scan my drawings into photoshop and redraw the whole thing by tracing over the drawing but it doesn't look like the drawing, it looked more like computer art and it prints the same on fabric but I don't want that, I want it the exact same as my drawings when printed out. If I scanned the drawing/painting into photoshop and just change the background colour, will it print onto the fabric or does it have to be drawn in Photoshop?

(It wouldn't let me post this is the art study help forumn so I just posted here)
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by s817)
I'm a textiles student and want to turn my hand drawings/paintings into digital prints on fabric. Usually I scan my drawings into photoshop and redraw the whole thing by tracing over the drawing but it doesn't look like the drawing, it looked more like computer art and it prints the same on fabric but I don't want that, I want it the exact same as my drawings when printed out. If I scanned the drawing/painting into photoshop and just change the background colour, will it print onto the fabric or does it have to be drawn in Photoshop?

(It wouldn't let me post this is the art study help forumn so I just posted here)
This may just be me being confused, so please explain this a bit better for me:
Do you want something almost like a graphic T-Shirt, but it's coming out wrong, or like a patterned fabric which doesn't look woven into that pattern but just looks printed on? Or is it something else?
s817
Rep:
?
(Original post by princetonalec)
This may just be me being confused, so please explain this a bit better for me:
Do you want something almost like a graphic T-Shirt, but it's coming out wrong, or like a patterned fabric which doesn't look woven into that pattern but just looks printed on? Or is it something else?
I'll be drawing/painting in my sketchbook and I want to put those drawings/paintings onto fabric such as linen which will be done through a digital printer that prints onto fabric that I will then put onto an art canvas as it is for interior wall art. The only way to do that is to put the drawing/painting/design in a digital format/file such as Tiff through photoshop or other design software that will load the file into software that is connected to the digital printer. My problem is with the digital part. Usually I scan my drawing paintings into photoshop and redraw them, save as a tiff file then print them out with the digital printer. I'm asking if I have to redraw them in photoshop, if I just scan in my drawing/paintings into photoshop, will the digital printer catch the colour in the drawings/paintings as they are and print onto the fabric because when I redraw in photoshop I don't like the results. They look computerised/digital but I want results to be natural, the exact same as my drawing/paintings
princetonalec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by s817)
I'll be drawing/painting in my sketchbook and I want to put those drawings/paintings onto fabric such as linen which will be done through a digital printer that prints onto fabric that I will then put onto an art canvas as it is for interior wall art. The only way to do that is to put the drawing/painting/design in a digital format/file such as Tiff through photoshop or other design software that will load the file into software that is connected to the digital printer. My problem is with the digital part. Usually I scan my drawing paintings into photoshop and redraw them, save as a tiff file then print them out with the digital printer. I'm asking if I have to redraw them in photoshop, if I just scan in my drawing/paintings into photoshop, will the digital printer catch the colour in the drawings/paintings as they are and print onto the fabric because when I redraw in photoshop I don't like the results. They look computerised/digital but I want results to be natural, the exact same as my drawing/paintings
Yes that would be possible... but why not just paint directly onto the fabric?
s817
Rep:
?
(Original post by princetonalec)
Yes that would be possible... but why not just paint directly onto the fabric?
I'm going to try painting directly onto fabric but it's not easy, I've tried it before. printing it digitally would be easier and quicker
Last edited by s817; 1 year ago
princetonalec
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by s817)
I'm going to try painting directly onto fabric but it's not easy, I've tried it before. printing it digitally would be easier and quicker
But easier and quicker does not a good art project make.
Use the different methods, take note of their shortcomings for your portfolio, and accept that you may not have the materials and equipment to achieve the exact look you want. Thats the curse of being a student of the arts unfortunately.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.28%
Unhappy (53)
28.04%
Conflicted (92)
48.68%

Watched Threads