Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Today is a sad day for nearly all ordinary people across Britain (and many elsewhere) - leaving the EU will not do anything for the average worker, the less well off, the people in the depressed areas of the North and Midlands who voted for it - it will lead to long term economic lagging behind Europe and other developed countries.

We cannot sign better trade deals with any major country than we had within the EU. The other main potential partner, the US, will seek only to exploit us and to take advantage, whilst offering little in return.

Many of our major industries, such as aerospace, automotive manufacture, pharma and construction, will all reduce their UK workforces and seek relocation to the EU.

The people behind Brexit - offshore tax evaders, the super rich, a tiny number of very wealthy financiers - will benefit from the sort of low-tax country the Tories now propose the UK become.

It is likely that government revenues will decline, causing reductions in everything from social care to the NHS and benefits to the state of the roads and railways.

We are entering a long period of economic decline, which by 2030 will leave us about 1/3 less well off than we otherwise should have been.

Most younger people should really be planning to leave. :sad:
paub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
utter rubbish.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It is sad we are leaving but on the other hand, I have just got to Safi'jiva on Monster Hunter World for the first time so will be running the siege tonight. Let's go.
nathan_nacu
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by paub)
utter rubbish.
But explain what aspects of her statement are wrong? Because based on what I’ve studied the negative effects that will come after the transition period will hit hard
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by paub)
utter rubbish.
Make some serious points rather than just a two word meaningless statement?
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For some people it may be sad.
For others it a start to a new era.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karisa96)
For some people it may be sad.
For others it a start to a new era.
A new era of what exactly?
AdelinePeterson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know.
RIP
esketitesketit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
A new era of depression
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hopefully in time to come prosperity, managing our own affairs without the EU, dictating what we can and cannot do.
Remember the vote was to leave, so I guess better late than never.
And if it is going to take 18, months to 2, years before we see any results then so be it.
It is the will of the people.
theuglypanda
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by paub)
utter rubbish.
Sure, what the OP said is "utter rubbish" to anyone who listens to people like Boris Johnson and his team of eurosceptics (who, by the way, are all pathetic, pathological liars). All you need to do is apply some basic common sense, do a bit of research, and you'll find that 80% of what Boris Johnson promised in terms of leaving the EU is either a) a lie, or b) an exaggeration of the truth. Brexit is a big mistake, and people will realise this in a couple of years and regret voting for it.

If you can't be bothered to put some thought into doing research, please, list me all the benefits of leaving the EU for all of us to see.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karisa96)
Hopefully in time to come prosperity, managing our own affairs without the EU, dictating what we can and cannot do.
Remember the vote was to leave, so I guess better late than never.
And if it is going to take 18, months to 2, years before we see any results then so be it.
It is the will of the people.
It was the will of 52% of those who voted - and it would probably be different now. It was mainly the will of the elderly, leaving us to live with the consequences.

The EU didn't dictate to us, we signed off on all agreements and directives and we were behind many of them. The majority of them were better for us than the things decades of ultra-right wing governments are likely to do for us.
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It was the will of 52% of those who voted - and it would probably be different now. It was mainly the will of the elderly, leaving us to live with the consequences.

The EU didn't dictate to us, we signed off on all agreements and directives and we were behind many of them. The majority of them were better for us than the things decades of ultra-right wing governments are likely to do for us.
That's what I love about this country.
Freedom of speech.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
ok boomer
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If nothing else today represents a great victory for democracy. That's anything but sad.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They picked their fate, let them enjoy it.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
They picked their fate, let them enjoy it.
Lol
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It was proven that Vote Leave have had american support, using that money to sway voters with fake promises.
Democracy is listening to the will of the people at ALL TIMES, not just when it suits them. The general consensus from economic experts, companies and the government's very own emergency plan is that leaving the EU will be a devastating blow.

I understand that people want their vote carried out but if a nation changes it's mind, which it clearly has, then that change should be listened to. The opinion of people who are able to vote now is much different to those who voted in the last general election. May I also remind you all that the overwhelming majority of the people who voted leave are on the elder side of things, whom are also more likely to vote conservative. This is not me having a go at older people - i'm merely saying that opinion has changed and we should be looking to make the country better for the youth first. They're our future, after all.

I would be perfectly okay with leaving, despite my strong opinion against it, if we'd had a second referendum either late last year or this year to judge opinion once more - to disapprove or prove the deal, with a NON-FPTP voting system (since this is clearly broken, parties aside). If we'd accepted it now, then that'd be fine.

Problem is, we don't and didn't.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
username5141468
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We are doomed. I was born in the UK and loved this country. But I plan on moving back to my home country in the South of France very soon. London is a ******** now, It is not what it once was, I will not miss it one bit. Au revoir!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (362)
66.91%
No (179)
33.09%

Watched Threads