The Student Room Group

MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SixteenHundred
Amongst a set of questions that were prepared, there were also some which were quite challenging about major works in the period which I had mentioned were an early influence in shaping my research, and how I felt certain passages might play into my project now. It was also not with anyone I’d made contact with. Difficult, but gave me some ideas as well! I think it’s worth putting out there as nobody else seems to have had this experience, but best to know it might be a possibility.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us but may I ask why did you find the questions challenging? I mean, since the questions you mentioned were about your project, not like a quiz or something, shouldn't you have found it easy to answer? Or did you found them challenging because you did not see them coming? Pardon my question if it sounds irritating.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anjelita
Thank you for sharing your experience with us but may I ask why did you find the questions challenging? I mean, since the questions you mentioned were about your project, not like a quiz or something, shouldn't you have found it easy to answer? Or did you found them challenging because you did not see them coming? Pardon my question if it sounds irritating.

Not at all! It’s kind of hard to answer without specifics though unfortunately sorry not to be of more help!
Original post by FlexyWex101
No news yet my end. But, on the plus side, I did just get an offer for St Andrews. Unconditional and less than 2 weeks after I applied, so hopefully that's a good indicator for funding chances and my hopes of getting into Cam :smile:

Congrats on St As! I went there for undergrad and have an offer for the MLitt Women, Writing and Gender program, which looks awesome and I'd also be very excited about if I don't get an offer from Cambridge. Feel free to message me if you want to know anything about student life there!
Eep, my first PhD offer has come in for another uni! No news on funding yet, but I'm pleased with the conditions and the fact I've got a place anyway. C'mooooooon Cambridge....
Original post by TwoLimes
Eep, my first PhD offer has come in for another uni! No news on funding yet, but I'm pleased with the conditions and the fact I've got a place anyway. C'mooooooon Cambridge....

So pleased for you, congrats!

Congrats! Looks like things are in motion!
Received the offer yesterday for the MPhil in Criticism and Culture! :-) Happy days!

Applied: January 5th
GAO: February 10th
Offer: February 14th

Good luck to everyone still waiting, I wish you all the best!
Original post by martaganger
Received the offer yesterday for the MPhil in Criticism and Culture! :-) Happy days!

Congrats!!
Original post by we_defy_augury
Congrats on St As! I went there for undergrad and have an offer for the MLitt Women, Writing and Gender program, which looks awesome and I'd also be very excited about if I don't get an offer from Cambridge. Feel free to message me if you want to know anything about student life there!

Hey man, great to hear from another applicant to St A! And you went there for undergrad huh? How did you find it? My sister is currently in her 4th year of a science degree there and I know the town really well - it's an incredible place, perched on the edge of the sea, with the old buildings and the golf courses and the beach! Oh, and congratulations on your offer for the MLitt! Like yourself, I'm very excited about getting St A's and hope I can take up a place. However, it's really dependent on whether I get any funding. Do you know how many internal English department scholarships they offer and how much these are worth? I was told I was being considered for some but other than that I'm pretty much clueless - shoot me a DM!
(edited 4 years ago)

Congratulations! Obviously feel free to ignore this, but how would you rate your application? Do you think it was very strong (other than, obviously, being strong enough to get an early offer!)? Cheers and congrats again, Flex
Another MPhil C&C applicant here - congrats to everyone at GAO or has been made an offer!

I've been at the Degree Committee stage since October 2nd, and I'm just pretty fed up of the wait tbh.
Not feeling very optimistic seeing as people who applied much more recently have already heard back (Congrats again to you all btw!), and just sort of want to put out my misery haha. Also checking the portal everyday for like 4+ months I feel like I'm going a bit insane and so literally anything would be a welcome change.

Anyway like someone else mentioned, I also got an email apologising for the wait and saying that we should hear back by next Friday.

Well done to everyone again, and the best of luck to everybody else!!

Whoo! Congratulations!! :-) Looks like the rest of us can look forward to something real soon. Wishing everyone all the best, and congrats once again!!
Original post by htoglil
Another MPhil C&C applicant here - congrats to everyone at GAO or has been made an offer!

I've been at the Degree Committee stage since October 2nd, and I'm just pretty fed up of the wait tbh.
Not feeling very optimistic seeing as people who applied much more recently have already heard back (Congrats again to you all btw!), and just sort of want to put out my misery haha. Also checking the portal everyday for like 4+ months I feel like I'm going a bit insane and so literally anything would be a welcome change.

Anyway like someone else mentioned, I also got an email apologising for the wait and saying that we should hear back by next Friday.

Oof, that's a long wait. Feel your pain, hun xx
Original post by FlexyWex101
Congratulations! Obviously feel free to ignore this, but how would you rate your application? Do you think it was very strong (other than, obviously, being strong enough to get an early offer!)? Cheers and congrats again, Flex

Hey Flex, that's a really hard question, I never felt too sure about the proposal but I do know that it fits with the current work being done by academics involved in the programme, so I think that was to my advantage. I am also building on research I've done before for my dissertation/various essays so I must've sounded qualified, and I stressed why I specifically needed this course to pursue my research interests. I was lucky enough to have my references written by two brilliant scholars (as I'm sure all of yours were too!) and I've had quite a lot of research/event organising/conference experience which I think made me a strong candidate but I nowhere near believe that that's what set me apart from other people. I think it was a strong application, but it's hard to tell whether it was 'very strong', you know? I haven't really read anyone else's nor do I know anyone else who has applied.

I got lucky to receive an early offer (I god hope it has to do with funding), but I am sure many more people are to hear back soon. I haven't found anyone else on forums who has received an offer for C&C (although I'm sure there's a few of us hiding) so I definitely consider myself beyond lucky at the moment. Hope you all get to hear back soon too!
Mine was not like this, FWIW, though I don’t mean to make anyone nervous! Amongst a set of questions that were prepared, there were also some which were quite challenging about major works in the period which I had mentioned were an early influence in shaping my research, and how I felt certain passages might play into my project now. It was also not with anyone I’d made contact with. Difficult, but gave me some ideas as well! I think it’s worth putting out there as nobody else seems to have had this experience, but best to know it might be a possibility.

Intense! I'm glad you smashed it though!
Original post by Mangoji
Intense! I'm glad you smashed it though!

We’ll see! I really hope the wait is over for everyone else soon!
Original post by jillybean06
Congrats! Looks like things are in motion!

So pleased for you, congrats!

Ah, cheers both. @jillybean06 I saw your post on the other thread re jobs & funding deadlines - hope you get to hear back from the Faculty soon.

If it makes anyone feel any better about the delay I can't get a reply to MPhil research funding applications and I'm in the faculty pretty much on a daily basis, just to reiterate the lovely snail's pace of Cantab's admin :rolleyes:
Ah, cheers both. @jillybean06 I saw your post on the other thread re jobs & funding deadlines - hope you get to hear back from the Faculty soon.

If it makes anyone feel any better about the delay I can't get a reply to MPhil research funding applications and I'm in the faculty pretty much on a daily basis, just to reiterate the lovely snail's pace of Cantab's admin :rolleyes:

I’m sorry you’re going through that too, but it is reassuring to hear. Looks like my interview is now the last week of March. I’m going to get in touch about my work contract situation but it am also preparing myself to be told it can’t be helped.
Original post by Opo221
Oof, that's a long wait. Feel your pain, hun xx

Same here! xx
Original post by htoglil

Rough wait! Crossing my fingers it pays off for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending