The Student Room Group

Dyspraxia help?

So I'm in y13 and I recently got diagnosed with dyspraxia. It's quite a late on thing as most people are diagnosed when they're children, but I was wondering if people also with dyspraxia could tell me what kind of things you do to help you cope in school/in life in general?
Original post by Lp16
So I'm in y13 and I recently got diagnosed with dyspraxia. It's quite a late on thing as most people are diagnosed when they're children, but I was wondering if people also with dyspraxia could tell me what kind of things you do to help you cope in school/in life in general?

technology is a big help in general, using my phone calendar for reminding me for events helps me, I deliberately leave early for everything just in case I get lost and shoes that you can slip on so you don't always have to do laces.
Reply 2
Lists (I like the todoist app), calendaring everything the second you get it (smart phones are a godsend), and routine - making sure I always take my glasses off and put them in the same place, same with my keys always go in the same pocket of the coat etc... just over-drilling everything so it becomes automatic.

I'm not diagnosed as dyspraxic, but my daughter is and I've got many of the exact same features so they believe strongly I am - but there's no NHS diagnostic route if you're an adult in my area so I've never pushed it too far.

And travel mugs with lids so I don't inevitably end up with coffee down my front from missing my mouth before 9am every single morning.
I have dyspraxia, was diagnosed at a young age, I can't see how it affects me but maybe it does. used to affect my maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending