erg97
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am trying to tone up and ive been told about a keto diet. Ive read about it and it seems like it will suit my needs...Can anyone expand on the benefits of this and let me know what i can and cant eat?
Saffire4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by erg97)
I am trying to tone up and ive been told about a keto diet. Ive read about it and it seems like it will suit my needs...Can anyone expand on the benefits of this and let me know what i can and cant eat?
I know quite a few people who have tried the Keto Diet including myself

you can't eat any Carbs or root vegatables

You can eat berrys
yogurt
Cream
meat
karelina
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Benefits are weight loss and increased insulin sensitivity leading to reduced diabetes risk, and probably other good things too. You want to have a lot of vegetables and fats and quite a lot of proteins. Fat might seem scary but it's something to do with it not triggering insulin so it's good for keto. You want healthy fat though, so coconut oil is one of the best then also olive oil, avocado oil for cooking. Extra virgin olive oil is good for after cooking, like on a salad. And don't overdo the fat/oils.

Good foods for keto: eggs, oily fish, salmon, butter, healthy oils, meat, avocados, natural yoghurt/kefir, coffee, green tea, cheese (not too much), cream, olives, nuts (a handful) and some fruit like berries but don't overdo fruit because it has a lot of sugar/carbs. If you eat some banana best to eat them green rather than brown as they have more sugar when they ripen.

Foods to avoid: carbs so bread, pasta, rice etc; refined sugar in your tea (use honey or agave if you have to), most fruit, starchy root vegetables like potatoes, legumes like lentils and peas, sweeteners, most alcohol (higher alcohol % is better I think), low fat dairy (go full fat)
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by karelina)
Benefits are weight loss and increased insulin sensitivity leading to reduced diabetes risk, and probably other good things too. You want to have a lot of vegetables and fats and quite a lot of proteins. Fat might seem scary but it's something to do with it not triggering insulin so it's good for keto. You want healthy fat though, so coconut oil is one of the best then also olive oil, avocado oil for cooking. Extra virgin olive oil is good for after cooking, like on a salad. And don't overdo the fat/oils.

Good foods for keto: eggs, oily fish, salmon, butter, healthy oils, meat, avocados, natural yoghurt/kefir, coffee, green tea, cheese (not too much), cream, olives, nuts (a handful) and some fruit like berries but don't overdo fruit because it has a lot of sugar/carbs. If you eat some banana best to eat them green rather than brown as they have more sugar when they ripen.

Foods to avoid: carbs so bread, pasta, rice etc; refined sugar in your tea (use honey or agave if you have to), most fruit, starchy root vegetables like potatoes, legumes like lentils and peas, sweeteners, most alcohol (higher alcohol % is better I think), low fat dairy (go full fat)
Coconut oil is one of the worst oils you can consume as it's nearly pure saturated fat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads