Humanities A levels

Watch this thread
CharlotteB2004
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have to submit my A level options next week, and I want to take History, Politics and Classical Civilisation. Alongside these I also want to take Latin GCSE since I want to do Classical Archeology and Ancient History at Oxford for uni so figured it would definitely help me. Since my A levels are very content heavy will having latin GCSE on top of them be too much to handle? I currently take history and class civ at gcse and my grades are around a 7/8 but I could definitely get a 9 by June so I am naturally good at those subjects however it could still put a lot of pressure on me and if it’ll potentially lower my A level grades I’ll think twice about taking Latin.
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
It is typical to pick 4 AS-Level and then only do 3 A-Levels, at least when I was in college. So if you only pick 3 A-levels, it should be possible to do a Latin GCSE. It really depends how much focus you have as much as anything else. I personally would only do this if A), I wanted to learn Latin and B) The degree course stated specifically that you needed a latin GCSE.
CharlotteB2004
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 0le)
It is typical to pick 4 AS-Level and then only do 3 A-Levels, at least when I was in college. So if you only pick 3 A-levels, it should be possible to do a Latin GCSE. It really depends how much focus you have as much as anything else. I personally would only do this if A), I wanted to learn Latin and B) The degree course stated specifically that you needed a latin GCSE.
Thank you so much! My course doesn’t specifically require latin but it’s one of the optional modules, and if I want to take classics for a masters degree or pHd I’ll need Latin so I’ll probably take it and see how it goes. Thanks for your help
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CharlotteB2004)
Thank you so much! My course doesn’t specifically require latin but it’s one of the optional modules, and if I want to take classics for a masters degree or pHd I’ll need Latin so I’ll probably take it and see how it goes. Thanks for your help
A PhD should really be the last thing on your mind. You haven't yet finished your GCSE's or even started your A-Levels! Let your interest evolve organically and if 4-5 years down the road you still love your topic, then yeah, that would be when to consider it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (40)
31.75%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (58)
46.03%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
21.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.79%

Watched Threads