Ramiano4
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Okay so i'm currently doing an undergraduate degree at Salford University, which isn't the most reputable university. However, would it be worth applying for a masters degree at a better uni like durham, or Exeter, or st Andrews, or Cambridge?

I know that I am capable of getting a good uni grade, so far I have been averaging a 2:1. However, I am only in my first year.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ramiano4)
Okay so i'm currently doing an undergraduate degree at Salford University, which isn't the most reputable university. However, would it be worth applying for a masters degree at a better uni like durham, or Exeter, or st Andrews, or Cambridge?

I know that I am capable of getting a good uni grade, so far I have been averaging a 2:1. However, I am only in my first year.
Your uni ranking/reputation is completely irrelevant in the working world unless you're applying for jobs in very competitive industries, such as investment banking and law at magic circle firms. What's important is gaining some work experience whilst at uni and also networking.

What masters Do you even need a masters for your chosen career path? It's best for you to research to try and understand what employers are looking for, so that you know what to improve on to increase your chances of landing a job. There's no point in paying for a masters (especially as many are very expensive) if you're never going to use it or apply to jobs relating to it, which may hurt your job prospect as you could've used that time to gain relevant experience and earn money.

However, there are circumstances where it'll help you be more employable. This is the case if you're thinking in going into finance or business, where some high ranking uni have strong industry presence and are well regarded. Alternatively there's also the case of sitting professional exams which are much cheaper than masters and more regarded.
Ramiano4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
Your uni ranking/reputation is completely irrelevant in the working world unless you're applying for jobs in very competitive industries, such as investment banking and law at magic circle firms. What's important is gaining some work experience whilst at uni and also networking.

What masters Do you even need a masters for your chosen career path? It's best for you to research to try and understand what employers are looking for, so that you know what to improve on to increase your chances of landing a job. There's no point in paying for a masters (especially as many are very expensive) if you're never going to use it or apply to jobs relating to it, which may hurt your job prospect as you could've used that time to gain relevant experience and earn money.

However, there are circumstances where it'll help you be more employable. This is the case if you're thinking in going into finance or business, where some high ranking uni have strong industry presence and are well regarded. Alternatively there's also the case of sitting professional exams which are much cheaper than masters and more regarded.
so, what exactly do you mean by professional exams?
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
so, what exactly do you mean by professional exams?
APM, ACA, ACCA, CIMA, LPC etc
nor1993
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Hey there The Uni where you get your first degree does not determine your chances of getting accepted to pursue a masters degree. I have just been accepted to my top unis with a 2:2, and I am currently enrolled at a not so great international university. What you have to start doing is working on your CV and find ways to gain experience in the field you want to dedicate your life too. Discovering your career path is essential to start working in the right direction. Drop me a message if you want to chat more
Ramiano4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by nor1993)
Hey there The Uni where you get your first degree does not determine your chances of getting accepted to pursue a masters degree. I have just been accepted to my top unis with a 2:2, and I am currently enrolled at a not so great international university. What you have to start doing is working on your CV and find ways to gain experience in the field you want to dedicate your life too. Discovering your career path is essential to start working in the right direction. Drop me a message if you want to chat more
Sure, it would be cool to chat more about masters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.2%
No (184)
32.8%

Watched Threads