Find work experience or not get qualifications? Watch

IDoNothingRight
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm a first year at the college doing a Lvl 3 games development course. Everything's been going well until we were told last week we HAD to find work experience and hand in a complete form saying where and what we did.

The consequences for not doing it?

NOT GETTING THE DEGREE

I don't know about other departments, but I do know that obtaining work experience for game development is particularly difficult due to companies not having the time to deal with students that don't completely know what they're doing. Work experience was only made compulsory THIS year as well because last year the college lost money due to students not going to get it?

We had already been told to find work experience since the beginning of the course, and even then I stressed about it. I sent out a lot of emails to games companies near by the college and only one replied saying they don't take college students. I remember I had been betting on the other emails up until recently but it's all gone so smoothly that I completely forgot about it. Now, I'm frantically sending emails all over the place hoping that at least one company accepts me.

My friend just the other day got to have an interview with a games company, which I don't know the results from currently. We both sent emails to companies at relatively the same time so is there just something I'm doing wrong? And if so, can I get any advice on how to find some work experience?

Thanks in advance!
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by IDoNothingRight)
I'm a first year at the college doing a Lvl 3 games development course. Everything's been going well until we were told last week we HAD to find work experience and hand in a complete form saying where and what we did.

The consequences for not doing it?

NOT GETTING THE DEGREE

I don't know about other departments, but I do know that obtaining work experience for game development is particularly difficult due to companies not having the time to deal with students that don't completely know what they're doing. Work experience was only made compulsory THIS year as well because last year the college lost money due to students not going to get it?

We had already been told to find work experience since the beginning of the course, and even then I stressed about it. I sent out a lot of emails to games companies near by the college and only one replied saying they don't take college students. I remember I had been betting on the other emails up until recently but it's all gone so smoothly that I completely forgot about it. Now, I'm frantically sending emails all over the place hoping that at least one company accepts me.

My friend just the other day got to have an interview with a games company, which I don't know the results from currently. We both sent emails to companies at relatively the same time so is there just something I'm doing wrong? And if so, can I get any advice on how to find some work experience?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like a terrible college. They should have been aware that its difficult and had given students plenty of time (usually months), as it takes a long time to find and process one. You're better off taking the active approach by either phoning a senior member of staff, or going in person where you will receive a response directly. Emails take awhile and often are ignored.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (260)
61.47%
Yes- I don't like it (20)
4.73%
No- I want it (112)
26.48%
No- I don't want it (31)
7.33%

Watched Threads