meganrmatthews19
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’m doing an Early Childhood education degree and it does not have a QTS at the end of it. I want to train to be a reception teacher however to do this you have to have a science GCSE I got a 3 in bio, chem and physics as I did triple science. Does this mean I can’t train to teach??
sadied123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,
I do believe most PGCE courses require a pass in at least 1 science subject, but that’s not to say they wouldn’t accept you anyway.
I would suggest maybe picking up a copy of a gcse revision guide and refreshing your memory of the content, and speak to the university directly, maybe offer to sit a paper or something to show you now have the knowledge, even if you haven’t got the “official” qualification? x
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by meganrmatthews19)
So I’m doing an Early Childhood education degree and it does not have a QTS at the end of it. I want to train to be a reception teacher however to do this you have to have a science GCSE I got a 3 in bio, chem and physics as I did triple science. Does this mean I can’t train to teach??
(Original post by sadied123)
Hi,
I do believe most PGCE courses require a pass in at least 1 science subject, but that’s not to say they wouldn’t accept you anyway.
I would suggest maybe picking up a copy of a gcse revision guide and refreshing your memory of the content, and speak to the university directly, maybe offer to sit a paper or something to show you now have the knowledge, even if you haven’t got the “official” qualification? x
You need the science qualification- it's a DFE requirement for QTS, so unis can't just waive this.

You'd need to either retake, or there are equivalency qualifications you can sit.
meganrmatthews19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
The degree is not a teaching course and is not related to teaching but this is what I want to do after university and teach preschoolers who don’t learn science anyway??

I am unable to resist the GCSE this year as the deadline for external candidates at my school is finished, what are the equivalency qualifications linked to this in order for me to train?
meganrmatthews19
Rep:
?
And also at the end of everything I will get an EYTS and not a PGCE so I’m unsure what to do??
Get into Teaching
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
And also at the end of everything I will get an EYTS and not a PGCE so I’m unsure what to do??
Hi Megan

As it's been suggested, to teach in a Primary school setting you need to have at least one science GCSE at Grade C/Level 4 or above OR an equivalent. The problem is that each and every single teacher training course provider will have a difference in opinion as to what that equivalent is. You'll need to do some research with the provider to whom you'd like to train with to see what they demand.

The EYTS is a qualification that will allow you to teach and work in the Early Years setting ONLY. If you were to want to transfer to teaching in Primary and Secondary schools (QTS is transferable between those phases) then you would need QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). (A PGCE is not a mandatory requirement to work in schools - its an academic qualification only) If you do ONLY want to work with the youngest children, then your degree and vocational award of the EYTS is sufficient.

Jane
meganrmatthews19
Rep:
?
What are the equivalents?
Get into Teaching
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What are the equivalents?
There are a lot of different qualifications that are considered equivalent. They could be things like IELTs, Functional Skills, a provider led equivalent or a commercial one (ie. equivilencytesting.com) However, there is not a general consensus across all of the providers, so you'd need to speak to the ones you'd like to apply to, to find out what they will/will not accept. Many will ONLY accept a GCSE.

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (487)
59.39%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.24%
No- I want it (234)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.83%

Watched Threads