MrsDeWinter
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I was advised recently that for the time on the university campus, we'd be in from 9am-6pm Mon-Fri (this was at Edge Hill).

Is this the same for all PGCEs done via a university? Or do the schedules differ?

Can anyone at EH confirm this is the time spent in lectures/seminars/workshops on the university campus?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Seems about right. MMU was 9-4pm. That said if its 9-6 you are getting more tuition which is good. Long uni hours will be the least of your worries during your training year.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MrsDeWinter)
I was advised recently that for the time on the university campus, we'd be in from 9am-6pm Mon-Fri (this was at Edge Hill).

Is this the same for all PGCEs done via a university? Or do the schedules differ?

Can anyone at EH confirm this is the time spent in lectures/seminars/workshops on the university campus?
My PGCE was similar hours in uni- usually 9/9.30-5 (but schedules did vary depending on what we were doing each day). You don't spend that many weeks in uni, so they have to fit as much as they can in whilst you're there. It's not like a typical undergrad/masters with limited contact hours.

If these contact hours are putting you off, then the PGCE probably isn't for you right now, I'm afraid.
MrsDeWinter
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Seems about right. MMU was 9-4pm. That said if its 9-6 you are getting more tuition which is good. Long uni hours will be the least of your worries during your training year.
That's a good point (RE more tuition), and I'll keep that in mind if I have to make a decision in a couple of weeks (presently, I have been accepted to EH. I've another interview this week, and then I'll be considering which - if I have the fortune to choose).

I'm coming from a commuting perspective, because this information will affect the choices I make over summer (RE obtaining personal transport, deciding whether to get a bus season ticket or a train season ticket, etc).
MrsDeWinter
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
My PGCE was similar hours in uni- usually 9/9.30-5 (but schedules did vary depending on what we were doing each day). You don't spend that many weeks in uni, so they have to fit as much as they can in whilst you're there. It's not like a typical undergrad/masters with limited contact hours.

If these contact hours are putting you off, then the PGCE probably isn't for you right now, I'm afraid.
Not at all - I'd just like all my facts before I decide what to pay towards (regarding transport - it took me a long time to get home after my interview, because I took the bus and they're not terribly regular. If this is likely to be a consistent theme, as both yourself and the previous responder appear to confirm, then I'm likely going to be better acquiring my own transport and shaving off a chunk of the commuting time). Summer goals!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (473)
59.35%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.4%
No- I want it (228)
28.61%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.65%

Watched Threads