Cyclist - pedestrian accident, received collision report, advice needed! Watch

Jamiees
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was riding home on a cycling lane in London when a pedestrian stepped into the lane right in front of me. I received numerous damages (cut, concussion, hematoma, sore shoulder, damaged bike…) as well as a pedestrian (knocked unconscious, facial damages, big cuts, taken by the ambulance…), who was in late 50s, which makes their injuries more threatening, unlikely but possibly even fatal.

Police has arrived at the scene, took down my details and my version of what had happened and said they will be in touch. Around 2 weeks later, I received a Collision Report, where I am requested to respond to a questionnaire regarding the incident. "It would assist us ... if you would complete the enclosed questionnaire and return it... within seven days..." it says.

I am wary of legal issues surrounding such incidents. I have no insurance and am worried that there could be a claim made against me, or worse I could face sentence. I feel there is nothing I could have done to prevent the accident and hope pedestrian makes full recovery, but can anybody advise me how to approach this…

Do I have to respond to this report from Metropolitan Police? Does it mean a pedestrian made a claim and they are trying to get more information? Am I being prosecuted? Could this form be issued because the incident was fatal? Do I need to a solicitor to respond to this report properly, or I can do it myself? Is it safe to call 101 to ask about the incident, or it can be used against me if I say something wrong? Should I try get in contact with a pedestrian?

In general, if you have any info regarding similar situations, that would be very helpful.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You will need to respond to it at the very least
Jamiees
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
You will need to respond to it at the very least
Hey! What makes you suggest that?
Rock Fan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jamiees)
Usually anything like that is a legal thing
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jamiees)
It's a 'request' from the police. Fill it in and send it back.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would suggest posting on the UK legal advice sub on reddit - reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK.

The people on there are very knowledgeable and this is way above what students can help you with.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah given the level of injuries described I think you want a lawyer, not random internet advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (496)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.18%
No- I want it (235)
28.31%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.75%

Watched Threads