The Student Room Group

A new country, a fresh beginning. We move forward.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ColinDent
Have those events been whitewashed from our history?
Again I do recall learning about William of Orange, the potato famine and our part in it at school, it was not treated as a joke.
Have you never seen the film Ghandi? Again something we learnt about in some detail at school.
You have also said yourself that an episode of horrible histories went into such stuff, it's all hardly whitewashing.
I suppose that you're happy enough with the bull**** Titanic version of all the Irish people being happy go lucky salt of the earth types and all the English ( except Kate Winslet) being well up for throwing said Irish overboard to save themselves.
Let's face some real facts here, you do hate England and you do have a chip on your shoulder.

And the famine was taught as the deliberate genocide by Trevelyan that it was was it? No, it was taught as just an unfortunate natural disaster and then in culture it's just jokes about "how many potatoes does it take to kill an Irish man"
Films and TV series are not the same as the education system. Things being purposefully left out of historical education and expecting people to have to seek out the information themselves is whitewashing, because you're actively denying your history.
Yeah the Titanic film wasn't how the Titanic was taught in school.

Yeah I hate the English, probably because you're a really arrogant nation who treat equal partnerships like oppression.
Original post by Occitanie
We shouldn’t be proud of being Brits?!

You self-haters (i.e Cultural Marxists) need to get lost.

What's that Skippy? Cultural Marxism doesn't actually exist, it's just rehashed Nazi propaganda? Well how interesting
Original post by Quady
There is anti Westminister sentiment. Where is the anti English?

And that's why you moved out of Scotland?

I think the undertones are anti-English and can be very subtle.
Couldn't agree more.
Original post by Burton Bridge
I'm.not revisiting the old tired arguments no further.

I wish you well on your relocation I hope you enjoy prosperity in your new EU country. I'll be staying in the UK and it would be nice if you could muster up the maturity to wish the UK well also?

Don't listen to this idiot. His wife's company has already gone up the swannie, apparently for reasons other than Brexit. His will follow shortly.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
And the famine was taught as the deliberate genocide by Trevelyan that it was was it? No, it was taught as just an unfortunate natural disaster and then in culture it's just jokes about "how many potatoes does it take to kill an Irish man"
Films and TV series are not the same as the education system. Things being purposefully left out of historical education and expecting people to have to seek out the information themselves is whitewashing, because you're actively denying your history.

Yeah I hate the English, probably because you're a really arrogant nation who treat equal partnerships like oppression.

There seems to be no need to continue conversing with you, your prejudice and spite makes any kind of balance impossible.
Enjoy your bigotry.
I find it rarther sad you wish to feel disconnected and unpatriotic regarding every country in the world. What you are implying is, you feel every human is born with am inherited burden of inherent sin that must forever be ashamed off, even though they had no control over it?

I'm not ashamed of being British just because Britain has done some pretty horrible things in the past. It's a question of being honest and proud, rather than believing in fantasies.

To be fair to the Brits, they lost a great many lives and a lot of treasure rescuing Europe from tyranny not all that long ago, so yes, although there is a problem of post-imperial arrogance and closed minds, there is also a reality of Britain being a major force for good. It's a mixed picture, but we need to know the whole story, warts and all. It's like being in a family - there are black sheep and there are good deeds and there is ordinary kindness, but you need to be honest with each other.

Oh no! You better send me to the Nuremberg.2 trials!! I must be a Nazi!!
Original post by Fullofsurprises
To be fair to the Brits, they lost a great many lives and a lot of treasure rescuing Europe from tyranny not all that long ago, so yes, although there is a problem of post-imperial arrogance and closed minds, there is also a reality of Britain being a major force for good. It's a mixed picture, but we need to know the whole story, warts and all. It's like being in a family - there are black sheep and there are good deeds and there is ordinary kindness, but you need to be honest with each other.

To be not fair to the sassenachs, so did many other nations (it was a world war after all) without then the generation born after the war to act like they personally won it.

Oh no! You better send me to the Nuremberg.2 trials!! I must be a Nazi!!

Or as I was actually implying, you're completely ignorant and blindly spout rehashed Nazi propaganda because it's all you've heard and you're incapable of forming an informed opinion.

Bingo! The mask slips, just like most of you lot giving us genuine left wing people a bad reputation. You are really just a prejudice bigot, arnt you?
Original post by imlikeahermit
Couldn't agree more.

Don't listen to this idiot. His wife's company has already gone up the swannie, apparently for reasons other than Brexit. His will follow shortly.

Aww so sweet, still waiting on many answers from you across many threads, if I didn't know better I'd think you hold low knowledge of most subjects :wink:
I'm not ashamed of being British just because Britain has done some pretty horrible things in the past. It's a question of being honest and proud, rather than believing in fantasies.

I'm much the same, I'm not ashamed of being British just because Britain has done some pretty horrible things in the past. I'm proud of what my country is now and how we lead the way on so many issues, we are a great liberal nation.

That does not mean I've convinced myself of believing in fantasies of how the empire was, and how we created it.
Original post by ColinDent
There seems to be no need to continue conversing with you, your prejudice and spite makes any kind of balance impossible.
Enjoy your bigotry.

Absolutely spot on!
That does not mean I've convinced myself of believing in fantasies of how the empire was, and how we created it.

I'm sure you haven't, but I think there is an effort currently underway on the Right to dismiss the truth about it. We've seen this in recent years with slavery for example - the story that the UK ended it being talked about - the story that Britain industrialised and mass produced slavery to be ignored.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/11/lets-end-delusion-britain-abolished-slavery
I'm sure you haven't, but I think there is an effort currently underway on the Right to dismiss the truth about it. We've seen this in recent years with slavery for example - the story that the UK ended it being talked about - the story that Britain industrialised and mass produced slavery to be ignored.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/11/lets-end-delusion-britain-abolished-slavery

We tend to have different versions of history. The truth and then a different narrative to allow us to sleep well at night.
Original post by Wired_1800
We tend to have different versions of history. The truth and then a different narrative to allow us to sleep well at night.

It's when the sleep at night version is being used to justify right wing attacks on teachers and universities that I worry.
To be not fair to the sassenachs, so did many other nations (it was a world war after all) without then the generation born after the war to act like they personally won it.

Or as I was actually implying, you're completely ignorant and blindly spout rehashed Nazi propaganda because it's all you've heard and you're incapable of forming an informed opinion.

As you’ve made it clear to me and the rest of TSR, you “hate the English”. You’ve already made a baseless assumption in your mind that I’m English, therefore you hate me. You’re now accusing me of being “ignorant” and “incapable of forming an informed opinion”.

I was going to ask you where you’re from, but tbh it’s pointless. As Burton has said, the mask has slipped and I will cease our discussion.

Please do not bother responding to this edit:

On what planet is it “arrogant” to want the best for one’s country?! Isn’t that just common sense?!?!?
(edited 4 years ago)
It's when the sleep at night version is being used to justify right wing attacks on teachers and universities that I worry.

True
As you’ve made it clear to me and the rest of TSR, you “hate the English”. You’ve already made a baseless assumption in your mind that I’m English, therefore you hate me. You’re now accusing me of being “ignorant” and “incapable of forming an informed opinion”.

I was going to ask you where you’re from, but tbh it’s pointless. As Burton has said, the mask has slipped and I will cease our discussion.

Some people in Scotland were burning the Union Jack

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/politics/717131/Union-Jack-flag-burn-Scottish-Independence-Glasgow/amp
True.

What do you mean by this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending