Why does Durham uni get so much hate?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Do I have reasons to be concerned? Was looking through old threads on here and there is so much angst and the university gets bad reputation.

Is it really snobbish? Classist?
Anonymous #2
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do I have reasons to be concerned? Was looking through old threads on here and there is so much angst and the university gets bad reputation.

Some people view it as a university for Oxbridge rejects. Additionally, a few people who go there can be rather snobbish and elitist- just like for any other uni. However, it's an amazing uni and lots of people are probably just jealous.
Anonymous #3
Report 9 months ago
I'm not in the camp of hating Durham, in fact it would be my first choice (if I eventually get an offer)...which is one of the problems; Durham is notorious for leaving their offers and rejections until March, which turn a lot of people away in frustration.

I wouldn't say that Durham is particularly snobbish, but it has a rep as an Oxbridge reject uni, as said above, and some colleges really do show this, although there are many colleges and some are far less snobbish in their populace.

Some people dislike Durham because it doesn't have as large a nightlife scene as other unis; my family who have been to Durham joke that Durham conditions you to not be able to stay up past 2am, when the clubs all close. As an insular homebody myself this of course doesn't bother me, and I'd much prefer this, over all universities being the same. That's not to say that the nightlife is dull; just if you're looking to get drunk every night from dusk till dawn maybe find another uni.

Overall I do love Durham and I hope to get an offer from them eventually!
Anonymous #1
I'm not in the camp of hating Durham, in fact it would be my first choice (if I eventually get an offer)...which is one of the problems; Durham is notorious for leaving their offers and rejections until March, which turn a lot of people away in frustration.

I wouldn't say that Durham is particularly snobbish, but it has a rep as an Oxbridge reject uni, as said above, and some colleges really do show this, although there are many colleges and some are far less snobbish in their populace.

Some people dislike Durham because it doesn't have as large a nightlife scene as other unis; my family who have been to Durham joke that Durham conditions you to not be able to stay up past 2am, when the clubs all close. As an insular homebody myself this of course doesn't bother me, and I'd much prefer this, over all universities being the same. That's not to say that the nightlife is dull; just if you're looking to get drunk every night from dusk till dawn maybe find another uni.

Overall I do love Durham and I hope to get an offer from them eventually!
I really hope you get an offer! I got mine a few days ago and at first I was just shocked (didn't see this coming) and then happy. However, having gone through so many threads and people just bashing it, I thought I had reasons to be concerned. I know that perception of others isn't a strong reason for me to be so worried, but stereotypes do start from somewhere.

I don't have an issue with the 'oxbridge-rejects' status because frankly that could only be a positive, it's full of ambitious people who at least tried. It's the other things like classism that worry me. Anyways, I really hope you get an offer soon, keep me updated! What did you apply for?
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I really hope you get an offer! I got mine a few days ago and at first I was just shocked (didn't see this coming) and then happy. However, having gone through so many threads and people just bashing it, I thought I had reasons to be concerned. I know that perception of others isn't a strong reason for me to be so worried, but stereotypes do start from somewhere.

I don't have an issue with the 'oxbridge-rejects' status because frankly that could only be a positive, it's full of ambitious people who at least tried. It's the other things like classism that worry me. Anyways, I really hope you get an offer soon, keep me updated! What did you apply for?
There was a masters student I was friends with here at Oxford last year (who is hopefully coming back for his DPhil next year) who did his undergrad at Durham. He was a mature student, and had specifically picked Durham (so was not a reject!)

His opinion was that Durham is far more snobby than Oxford. He used the comparison of Formals. Apparently at Durham people get quite arsey about etiquette, whereas at most (not necessarily all) Oxford people are pretty chill about that. His theory is that because a lot of Durham students did get rejected from Oxbridge, or are sick of being considered inferior to Oxbridge, they feel like they have something to prove. Whereas Oxbridge students don't have that inferiority complex as they are told they're the best by everyone whose opinion matters to them (people who go to Oxbridge, Parents, and their old Schools.)

Big Disclaimer, obviously not every (or even most) Durham student thinks this way (my friend is obvious evidence of that) but that these people exist is not a debatable fact.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by vicvic38)
There was a masters student I was friends with here at Oxford last year (who is hopefully coming back for his DPhil next year) who did his undergrad at Durham. He was a mature student, and had specifically picked Durham (so was not a reject!)

His opinion was that Durham is far more snobby than Oxford. He used the comparison of Formals. Apparently at Durham people get quite arsey about etiquette, whereas at most (not necessarily all) Oxford people are pretty chill about that. His theory is that because a lot of Durham students did get rejected from Oxbridge, or are sick of being considered inferior to Oxbridge, they feel like they have something to prove. Whereas Oxbridge students don't have that inferiority complex as they are told they're the best by everyone whose opinion matters to them (people who go to Oxbridge, Parents, and their old Schools.)

Big Disclaimer, obviously not every (or even most) Durham student thinks this way (my friend is obvious evidence of that) but that these people exist is not a debatable fact.
loooool ah f uck this is so annoying. Hopefully I will find chill people, those who know how to have a laugh without being stuck up 24/7.

that's so odd though, I don't know why a university rejection would lead students to change this much? like Durham is nowhere near Oxbridge in terms of 'status' or whatever it is that matters to students so the fact that this 'competition' exists in the first place is ridiculous.

I am just going to remember there are a lot of international students at the uni so if there truly are snobs everywhere, I will beg the international students to befriend me. lmao
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
loooool ah f uck this is so annoying. Hopefully I will find chill people, those who know how to have a laugh without being stuck up 24/7.

that's so odd though, I don't know why a university rejection would lead students to change this much? like Durham is nowhere near Oxbridge in terms of 'status' or whatever it is that matters to students so the fact that this 'competition' exists in the first place is ridiculous.

I am just going to remember there are a lot of international students at the uni so if there truly are snobs everywhere, I will beg the international students to befriend me. lmao
I would imagine it's a bitter minority honestly. I can't imagine EVERYONE being that sad all the time haha.

Durham considers itself Collegiate (it isn't really,) and it used to be very comparable to Oxbridge (there is a tendency for them to call it Doxbridge to involve themselves) however there a lot of universities now who are on par with Durham (in a good way) so it is less notable.

You'd be surprised how many people base their identities around being a potential Oxbridge student.
Anonymous #4
Report 9 months ago
Some impression of Durham, as the Oxbridge replica for rejects in the north, especially with its collegiate system which seems like a mirror image - a lot of snobs unfortunately
Anonymous #1
I would imagine it's a bitter minority honestly. I can't imagine EVERYONE being that sad all the time haha.

Durham considers itself Collegiate (it isn't really,) and it used to be very comparable to Oxbridge (there is a tendency for them to call it Doxbridge to involve themselves) however there a lot of universities now who are on par with Durham (in a good way) so it is less notable.

You'd be surprised how many people base their identities around being a potential Oxbridge student.
hopefully lmao

in what sense is it not Collegiate?

Oh jesus lmaooooooo this isn't helping. I am just going to befriend the northerners, I bet they are less snobbish than the southerners

i am just joking btw before anyone takes offence
Anonymous #1
Some impression of Durham, as the Oxbridge replica for rejects in the north, especially with its collegiate system which seems like a mirror image - a lot of snobs unfortunately
"for rejects in the north" wtaf this made me laugh
Anonymous #1
it came across as if rejects had to be taken up north for some therapy :rofl: time away in a castle to recover lolololololol
Anonymous #5
Report 9 months ago
hopefully lmao

Oh jesus lmaooooooo this isn't helping. I am just going to befriend the northerners, I bet they are less snobbish than the southerners

(I live in durham but am not going to the uni btw). It's just a really small place and I'm not sure how individual and unique each college is as it is in Oxbridge.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
hopefully lmao

Oxford and Cambridge colleges are the lifeblood of the uni. They are your primary place of teaching (outside of lectures) and all student welfare is sorted within colleges. At Oxbridge you are first and foremost a student of your college, then a member of the university.

It's more that Oxford could not exist if it didn't have colleges, as the university is more of a formal association of colleges. Whereas for Durham (and other ""Collegiate"" unis, like York) the colleges form a social and welfare circle, but not an academic one, so the university could exist without them.

For instance Durham Colleges do not have Senior Common rooms for fellows. This means that academic faculty do not form part of the college ecosystem. This is a key difference, as at Oxbridge the inclusion of Fellows into college life provides a very nice richness and a good amount of mingling. You get to know your tutors really well, and you have formals and other dinners with them regularly. This is partially because your tutor may only have 1-10 students per year (at my college there are less than 18 people on my course over 4 years, only the very large courses and colleges will have 10 or more students for a subject per year) to deal with, rather than multiple classes of many students.
Last edited by vicvic38; 9 months ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

Go visit the uni & makr your own mind up.

You cant always tell if people on here are giving an honest set of opinions or a personal dislike against the uni.

Its one of the UK's best unis academically and career prospects, form your own opinion on everything else.
Mosaic4
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
Go visit the uni & makr your own mind up.

You cant always tell if people on here are giving an honest set of opinions or a personal dislike against the uni.

Its one of the UK's best unis academically and career prospects, form your own opinion on everything else.
OP this is really good advice. Try and go to the offer holder visit day(s) if you can. They will give you a feeling for what the college is all about and you will get to meet and mix with current and prospective students. After that you can make your mind up whether it is the best fit for you.
Anonymous #1
Oxford and Cambridge colleges are the lifeblood of the uni. They are your primary place of teaching (outside of lectures) and all student welfare is sorted within colleges. At Oxbridge you are first and foremost a student of your college, then a member of the university.

It's more that Oxford could not exist if it didn't have colleges, as the university is more of a formal association of colleges. Whereas for Durham (and other ""Collegiate"" unis, like York) the colleges form a social and welfare circle, but not an academic one, so the university could exist without them.

For instance Durham Colleges do not have Senior Common rooms for fellows. This means that academic faculty do not form part of the college ecosystem. This is a key difference, as at Oxbridge the inclusion of Fellows into college life provides a very nice richness and a good amount of mingling. You get to know your tutors really well, and you have formals and other dinners with them regularly. This is partially because your tutor may only have 1-10 students per year (at my college there are less than 18 people on my course over 4 years, only the very large courses and colleges will have 10 or more students for a subject per year) to deal with, rather than multiple classes of many students.
Now I understand it, thanks for taking your time to explain. tbh I am not one of those students who applied to Oxbridge and Durham isn't my 'reject option' so to me it doesn't matter that Durham isn't Oxbridge. I just don't want to be stuck with students (if such students exist in large numbers at Durham and not just in perception of others) who feel the need to act superior to make up for their 'loss'. It's just disheartening because when you research a uni, you want something more substantial to come up than the 'doxbridge' arguments. :/
Anonymous #1
Thanks everyone, I live in the south but will make an effort to go visit the uni now. It's expensive but might as well go and visit it.

Cheers
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Now I understand it, thanks for taking your time to explain. tbh I am not one of those students who applied to Oxbridge and Durham isn't my 'reject option' so to me it doesn't matter that Durham isn't Oxbridge. I just don't want to be stuck with students (if such students exist in large numbers at Durham and not just in perception of others) who feel the need to act superior to make up for their 'loss'. It's just disheartening because when you research a uni, you want something more substantial to come up than the 'doxbridge' arguments. :/
It's a real shame honestly. Durham is a good institution. You'll find people there who are good fun, and aren't stereotypical!
Anonymous #3
Report 9 months ago

I applied for Chemistry at Josephine Butler college (though since I don't yet have an offer and the college allocations start soon looks like I'll end up elsewhere.)

As someone who lives close to Durham, in my experience the northerners at the university are very nice and friendly, nothing like the general public in the north east who give the rest of us a bad rep!
Anonymous #1
I applied for Chemistry at Josephine Butler college (though since I don't yet have an offer and the college allocations start soon looks like I'll end up elsewhere.)

As someone who lives close to Durham, in my experience the northerners at the university are very nice and friendly, nothing like the general public in the north east who give the rest of us a bad rep!
I applied to the same college!!

I am sure you will get the offer soon, please let me know when you do! It will be so nice to know a few students who are thinking of going to Durham because I have been feeling a little anxious about it all for a while lol Thanks for being so nice and reassuring. Ttys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (630)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (787)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (371)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.49%

Watched Threads