Electric field past papers question help

Watch
cruduxcruo9
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Can anyone provide an understandable explanation for b(ii) please? I can't seem to get my head around the solutions available on the internet.
Name:  Screenshot_20200201-124022__01.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  196.9 KB
Last edited by cruduxcruo9; 8 months ago
swinroy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by cruduxcruo9)
Can anyone provide an understandable explanation for b(ii) please? I can't seem to get my head around the solutions available on the internet.
Name:  Screenshot_20200201-124022__01.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  196.9 KB
The electric field strength is the magnitude of the gradient of the curve which plots Electric Potential against distance.
Since Force = Charge x Electric Field strength the proportionality asked for is now evident.
cruduxcruo9
Rep:
?
(Original post by swinroy)
The electric field strength is the magnitude of the gradient of the curve which plots Electric Potential against distance.
Since Force = Charge x Electric Field strength the proportionality asked for is now evident.
But isn't the graph given in this question the graph of potential ENERGY against distance? And not electric potential against distance. The gradient of electric potential-distance graph is electric field strength I believe.
swinroy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by cruduxcruo9)
But isn't the graph given in this question the graph of potential ENERGY against distance? And not electric potential against distance. The gradient of electric potential-distance graph is electric field strength I believe.
you are correct
so
the gradient of the GIVEN graph is the gradient of q V and since q is a constant;
equal to q multiplied by the gradient of the V -r graph which has not been drawn and numerically equal to the electric field strength
Gradient of given graph = q multiplied by Electric Field Strength which is the force on the charge.
A very confusing question IMHO
cruduxcruo9
Rep:
?
(Original post by swinroy)
you are correct
so
the gradient of the GIVEN graph is the gradient of q V and since q is a constant;
equal to q multiplied by the gradient of the V -r graph which has not been drawn and numerically equal to the electric field strength
Gradient of given graph = q multiplied by Electric Field Strength which is the force on the charge.
A very confusing question IMHO
I get it, thanks!
Last edited by cruduxcruo9; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.18%
No (80)
52.63%
I don't know (17)
11.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed