The Student Room Group

BSC of Zoology - Harper Adams or Hartpury

Hello! I am planning on studying a BSC (Hons) of Zoology in 2021 after I move back to the UK from Australia. I've looked at the courses based nearish (within an hour or so) of Birmingham as my partner will be studying there and we will most likely be based around there. So far I'm liking the looks of Hartpury and Harper Adams, I'm just wondering if either one would be a clear winner over the other? Being in Australia currently its hard to figure out what the reputations of the two Universities are apart from what I've read online. So far it seems like student satisfaction rates/general student happiness seems to be better at Harper Adams, but the Zoological/Animal Science facilities are better at Hartpury.If anyone could share their opinions or experiences that would be great!
Reply 1
I can't say anything about Hartpury but I'm a 2nd year Zoology student at Harper. The uni has so much to offer, we cover a wide range of topics within our modules, which allows us to have a full understanding not only of animals, but the ecosystems they exist in. We also get a lot of hands on experience which is very useful for the future.Our lecturers all operate an open door policy so all you have to do to arrange a meeting is sign up on their door. They are always there to offer support no matter the situation. We also have an incredible course tutor who will do everything in his power to make sure you are getting the best out of university life.As part of the course we have a placement year. This is very important as it allows us to gain the experience we will need after we graduate. You can choose to go anywhere you want, which means you can follow your own interests. Our graduate employment rate is 97.2% and a lot of that is because of students demonstrating their employability through a placement year.The social life is great too, we have a lot of different clubs and societies, from gaming to music. The uni is very welcoming and finding people who have the same interests is very easy.One thing you need to be aware of is how rural Harper is, the campus is small and quiet which some people prefer. Although if you are commuting from Birmingham I'll assume you'll have a car so this won't be a problem from you. We do have a new vet school being built at the moment so it could be more lively by the time you get here. There is also a working farm with dairy, pig, sheep, beef and poultry units.All in all I'd say the university is a very good choice, I love being here :smile:
Original post by JadeandJedi
Hello! I am planning on studying a BSC (Hons) of Zoology in 2021 after I move back to the UK from Australia. I've looked at the courses based nearish (within an hour or so) of Birmingham as my partner will be studying there and we will most likely be based around there. So far I'm liking the looks of Hartpury and Harper Adams, I'm just wondering if either one would be a clear winner over the other? Being in Australia currently its hard to figure out what the reputations of the two Universities are apart from what I've read online. So far it seems like student satisfaction rates/general student happiness seems to be better at Harper Adams, but the Zoological/Animal Science facilities are better at Hartpury.If anyone could share their opinions or experiences that would be great!

Hey :smile: I'm a student at Hartpury and happy to help. I study sport but my best friend is doing Zoology and LOVES it. The animal facilities here really are ace, there are so many different species on campus!! They have loads of practical sessions and offer lots of opportunities for placements, voluntary work etc. The research team and lecturers are brilliant too.

As for the student satisfaction thing im sure Hartpury was recently rated in the top 10 for student support and for facilties and courses/lectures with the WhatUni Student awards. I just checked our website and we have a 98% graduate employment rate too. I think because Hartpury hasn't been classified or used "university" in their name for long (they have been doing degrees for years but only got official status a couple years ago) they dont have as many reviews as other unis but it doesn't mean it isnt as good. Myy experience is mainly with sport but I can vouch for all my friends too - we love it here, the people are friendly, the campus is amazing and nightlife in gloucester/cheltenham is great, and all the staff want the best for you. Hope that helps you a bit and hope the move goes ok!!
There is an open day this Saturday (14th March) at Hartpury. I am going there for the open day as I am very interested in International Horseracing business
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
I've been to both campuses and would choose Harper Adams for personal preference. It has better facilities all round (not just academic - it's things like there is a doctor's surgery on campus and better accommodation). It is also not as remote from local towns and transport networks, but is still a rural campus.
I'm a student at Hartpury and the campus is stunning! The facilities in all areas are second to none, I am studying equine and the equine facilities and campus were one of the main reasons I chose Hartpury. The lectures are also very helpful and knowledgable and you learn so much as the class sizes usually aren't too big.
Original post by Lily Hicks
I'm a student at Hartpury and the campus is stunning! The facilities in all areas are second to none, I am studying equine and the equine facilities and campus were one of the main reasons I chose Hartpury. The lectures are also very helpful and knowledgable and you learn so much as the class sizes usually aren't too big.

I'll apply there for next September 2021 entry - Equine too
Original post by GatoMessi
I'll apply there for next September 2021 entry - Equine too

I'm sure you'll love it!
Original post by Lily Hicks
I'm sure you'll love it!

Hope so.

BSc (Hons) in International Horseracing business will be my 1st choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending