Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
hey! so i was thinking about tutoring after i finish my GCSEs. i want to tutor maths as i've already done my GCSE's in year 9 and got an A* and currently doing further maths. i was thinking about tutoring 11+ maths (as im currently tutoring my sister), year 7, year 8 and possibly year 9. however im stuck on how much to charge i personally think i should £10 for 2 hours and no more than 3 people in each session?

What do you guys think? Will people take me seriously? And how much shall i charge?
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
Well done on your GCSE grade and hope you are enjoying Further maths! I also wanted to tutor after my GCSE's swell but never got the opportunity. If you are in 6th form, I would consider tutoring the 11+ pupils in the school first by gathering a list of names pupils who are not so great in maths and may need a push. Do that for free then build it up. If you are in College, then just tutor your sister for now and if she is doing well after your support and if you have cousins, maybe you could tutor them first for free. It is a very big risk to tutor random strangers and charge them as you have got limited experience this is why start small, build experience then go onto other people. though I do think tutoring is excellent so I wish you the best of luck!!!
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I think people should leave tutoring to qualified experienced teachers, who can do a far better job of it. How would you feel if you went to the dentist and (s)he walked out leaving you in the hands of the trainee. Though it's even worse in the case of tutoring since we aren't even talking about trainee teachers. Having a proper and good teacher tutoring you can make a real difference, so it's sad when a kid gets cheated by having someone who clearly isn't this.

You will get a lot of parents for whom cheap and cheerful is the order of the day, so they will lie to themselves and pretend that they are getting a bargain. But as the old saying goes: if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

If you want to make some money then go and do a few hours in a supermarket, or go round offering to wash cars, or cut hedges.
Keval02
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi. I am an a level student and have my own tutoring business. I was looking for a tutor to teach. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
TBH I think the only reason anyone would give a 16yo money to be a tutor is basically just charity but the tutoring is there just so to mask it as not a gift perhaps you could do a good job but your certainly not qualified and there is a difference between being good at something and teaching others the same skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads