Ruben jann
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
What harm has Brexit caused until now, has the damage effects of a Brexit not been exaggerated to scare people
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruben jann)
What harm has Brexit caused until now, has the damage effects of a Brexit not been exaggerated to scare people
Brexit has barely started! But your question is really a side issue. The originsl issue was would Brexit damage the UK. The UK remaind divided in this issue. And only time will now possibly tell us who was or was not exaggerating. You and I could not know at this point in time.
Last edited by mgi; 2 weeks ago
Ruben jann
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgi)
Brexit has barely started! But your question is really a side issue. The originsl issue was would Brexit damage the UK. The UK remaind divided in this issue. And only time will now possibly tell us who was or was not exaggerating. You and I could not know at this point in time.
Exactly the long time since the election in 2016, the reason for brexit might been more or less forgotten or at least fainted a little. And the slow discussion speed of the Parliament mabee damaged UK much more than the election result 4 years ago
Lokrum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It will be a long, long while until the true effects of Brexit will be felt. Firstly, until the end of 2020, nothing will change for citizens, as it is the so-called "adjustment period". UK citizens in the EU will still keep all of their rights, and all EU citizens in the UK will keep all of theirs. The European Court Of Justice will still have jurisdiction in the UK, etcetera.

The only thing that is different today than it was yesterday, is that the UK will no longer be represented in the European Parliament. That is, UK MEPs will no longer sit in the EP chamber, nor any other EU institutions, for that matter.

As I said, the adjustment period is supposed to last until the end of 2020. However, it can be prolonged for another two years, if both the UK and the EU agree.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Exactly the long time since the election in 2016, the reason for brexit might been more or less forgotten or at least fainted a little. And the slow discussion speed of the Parliament mabee damaged UK much more than the election result 4 years ago
I take it you are referring to the referendum of 2016? The original binary question set by David Cameron was a stupid one in my opinion. He copped out of dealing with Tory in-fighting and pretended that the concept of Brexit was much simpler than it actually was! He is also now making millions from his book!
Pencil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think that staying in the EU would have been more damaging in time.
Ruben jann
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgi)
I take it you are referring to the referendum of 2016? The original binary question set by David Cameron was a stupid one in my opinion. He copped out of dealing with Tory in-fighting and pretended that the concept of Brexit was much simpler than it actually was! He is also now making millions from his book!
Well must respect him for letting the UK population decide them self if they wanted to stay in EU. What annoy me as a Dane is the childish thoughts , our Danish parliament show that the Danish population can't get an election about staying in EU, I think every country in EU , want to se hos UK will manage out of EU, and if UK face big problems , we will be allowed to have a referendum, given we are expected to wore for staying in EU. Populist keep telling us it's best to stay in EU, and it's very controversial to say we want to leave
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well must respect him for letting the UK population decide them self if they wanted to stay in EU. What annoy me as a Dane is the childish thoughts , our Danish parliament show that the Danish population can't get an election about staying in EU, I think every country in EU , want to se hos UK will manage out of EU, and if UK face big problems , we will be allowed to have a referendum, given we are expected to wore for staying in EU. Populist keep telling us it's best to stay in EU, and it's very controversial to say we want to leave
It is quite simple. The UK is divided on whether leaving the EU is a good idea. We will have to wait and see but i don't think we will really know for sure because there are so many things that may still have happened to the economy if we had remained in the EU.
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Probably in excess of £350 million a week:
https://www.cer.eu/insights/cost-brexit-june-2019
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lokrum)
It will be a long, long while until the true effects of Brexit will be felt. Firstly, until the end of 2020, nothing will change for citizens, as it is the so-called "adjustment period". UK citizens in the EU will still keep all of their rights, and all EU citizens in the UK will keep all of theirs. The European Court Of Justice will still have jurisdiction in the UK, etcetera.

The only thing that is different today than it was yesterday, is that the UK will no longer be represented in the European Parliament. That is, UK MEPs will no longer sit in the EP chamber, nor any other EU institutions, for that matter.

As I said, the adjustment period is supposed to last until the end of 2020. However, it can be prolonged for another two years, if both the UK and the EU agree.
Which we won't.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Onde)
Probably in excess of £350 million a week:
https://www.cer.eu/insights/cost-brexit-june-2019
Some people guessed what the economic growth would be ( the same people that are constantly having to correct their predictions), then they discover those predictions aren't correct and place all of the blame on our decision to leave the EU because there definitely haven't been any other events that could have affected said predictions, no siree, not even stuff like a trade war between the US and China and a smaller one between the US and the EU, nope everything is brexit related.
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Some people guessed what the economic growth would be ( the same people that are constantly having to correct their predictions), then they discover those predictions aren't correct and place all of the blame on our decision to leave the EU because there definitely haven't been any other events that could have affected said predictions, no siree, not even stuff like a trade war between the US and China and a smaller one between the US and the EU, nope everything is brexit related.
The paper compares the UK with a model economy based on what comparable economies have achieved since the referendum.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Onde)
The paper compares the UK with a model economy based on what comparable economies have achieved since the referendum.
That was in June 2019, how does it compare now?
Economic forecasts are less reliable than the met office
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That was in June 2019, how does it compare now?
Economic forecasts are less reliable than the met office
But they have made a lot of people wealthier because the stock market responds to them! This is the Tories best kept secret!
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
But they have made a lot of people wealthier because the stock market responds to them! This is the Tories best kept secret!
They are not, and have never been fact.
Mr Soros has done alright by them too.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They are not, and have never been fact.
Mr Soros has done alright by them too.
But it is a fact that the stock market always reonds to uncertainty! Right? Of you don't believe me, check out , for example,what the Corona virus outbreak has done to economic forecasts and the stock market!
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mgi)
But it is a fact that the stock market always reonds to uncertainty! Right? Of you don't believe me, check out , for example,what the Corona virus outbreak has done to economic forecasts and the stock market!
Exactly, therefore not every downturn in economic forecasts is purely brexit related, you are backing up my original argument.
Last edited by ColinDent; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (255)
66.58%
No (128)
33.42%

Watched Threads