Can I change the name on my GCSE certificates?

Watch
Himynameisdaisy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, so this most recent summer, I got my name changed. It’s not a drastic change, I simply removed one of my middle names and part of my double barrel surname. However, by the time I changed my name, I had already sat my exams, and when I got the certificates, it had my double barrel last name. Can I get these changed so it has my correct name, and if not, will it affect my university application? Could I just tell them I had a name change and provide proof of that (eg deed poll certificate)

BTW I’m in year 12 now so I should be able to have my new name in my A Level exams.
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
To change your name on the certificates you'll need to contact each individual exam board with your request, your old name, your current name, and a copy of your deed poll.
I know you said it was only to change around some details, but in my experience as a trans person it was a case of getting in touch with everyone individually and it was quite a long process, if only because of the waiting.
In terms of your qualifications once you notify the exam boards of a name change they should instantly apply it to the qualifications too, just keep a few extra copies of your deed poll on hand (I have 20) since from now on whenever your old name comes up you'll need the original deed poll to show the legal chronological change, and sometimes people don't post them back.
Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads