anonymousayyyy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It is the first week of Sam’s new job. He arrives at work to find the other till operators all drinking coffee in the rest room, even though it is past the store opening time. He knows that this is frowned upon by the management but even so he joins them. Later in the day, he is asked to move from the tills to the shelf-stacking team as they are short staffed. He has not been trained for this, so at first he hangs back and watches what the others do and then follows their lead.

6 (a) From the description of Sam’s behaviour above, identify one example of normative social influence. Explain why you think this is an example of normative social influence. (3 marks)

(b) From the description of Sam’s behaviour above, identify one example of informational social influence. Explain why you think this is an example of informational social influence. (3 marks)

Please help me answer this question. I feel the examples given could be used for each social influence, so I'm kinda confused :/
stereotypeasian
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
normative social influence - drinking coffee with other till operators in the rest room, even though it is past the store opening time. He knows that this is frowned upon by the management but even so he joins them.

informative social influence - he is asked to move from the tills to the shelf-stacking team as they are short staffed. He has not been trained for this, so at first he hangs back and watches what the others do and then follows their lead.

normative social influence is conforming to be liked and look normal whereas informative social influence is conforming to be right about something
anonymousayyyy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
normative social influence - drinking coffee with other till operators in the rest room, even though it is past the store opening time. He knows that this is frowned upon by the management but even so he joins them.

informative social influence - he is asked to move from the tills to the shelf-stacking team as they are short staffed. He has not been trained for this, so at first he hangs back and watches what the others do and then follows their lead.

normative social influence is conforming to be liked and look normal whereas informative social influence is conforming to be right about something
Thank you so much!! I had this idea in mind but for some reason doubted myself aha. Thanks again.
stereotypeasian
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anonymousayyyy)
Thank you so much!! I had this idea in mind but for some reason doubted myself aha. Thanks again.
:heart:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (42)
47.73%
No, they should still go ahead (20)
22.73%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (26)
29.55%

Watched Threads