The Student Room Group

Multiple Btecs?

I’m currently thinking about what courses to take in college this year and am curious as to how many Btec courses I can take? The courses I’m interested in are Health
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by xelx
I start college this year and am curious as to how many Btec courses I can take? The courses I’m interested in are Health & Social Care and Music. Also, any opinions from people who have taken those courses would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello,

I'm not too sure whether you can do multiple BTECS, however, I am currently studying Health and Social Care :smile:

The course is great, I'm doing the extended diploma (PEARSON) and I've completed two exams already - unit 1 is Human Lifespan Development and unit 2 is Working in Health and Social Care. For the rest of the year, I will be doing coursework, so I've got plenty of time to work on getting three distinctions (as long as my exam grades are okay!). I have in fact already submitted two essays and gotten distinctions, as you can see it's semi-easy to get the grades if you work hard and do not leave all the work till the end of the week! (a lot of people seem to do this?).

By doing a BTEC it will enable you to attain work experience alongside doing your qualifications, therefore you're more prepared for university or a job once you finish the level 3 course. I'm currently doing work experience at a hospital nearby and I've started mentoring students :biggrin:. These sorts of courses are great if you want to go into that sector of work, for example, if you want to be a nurse/radiographer/physiotherapist/paramedic/etc, then this course is great for you.

Do you have any career aspirations yet? If you're unsure, you could always have a chat with your career advisor?

I hope this helps, you're welcome to PM me if you want to ask anything else regarding the BTECS (or even your GCSEs).
Reply 2
Original post by Hazelly
Hello,

I'm not too sure whether you can do multiple BTECS, however, I am currently studying Health and Social Care :smile:

The course is great, I'm doing the extended diploma (PEARSON) and I've completed two exams already - unit 1 is Human Lifespan Development and unit 2 is Working in Health and Social Care. For the rest of the year, I will be doing coursework, so I've got plenty of time to work on getting three distinctions (as long as my exam grades are okay!). I have in fact already submitted two essays and gotten distinctions, as you can see it's semi-easy to get the grades if you work hard and do not leave all the work till the end of the week! (a lot of people seem to do this?).

By doing a BTEC it will enable you to attain work experience alongside doing your qualifications, therefore you're more prepared for university or a job once you finish the level 3 course. I'm currently doing work experience at a hospital nearby and I've started mentoring students :biggrin:. These sorts of courses are great if you want to go into that sector of work, for example, if you want to be a nurse/radiographer/physiotherapist/paramedic/etc, then this course is great for you.

Do you have any career aspirations yet? If you're unsure, you could always have a chat with your career advisor?

I hope this helps, you're welcome to PM me if you want to ask anything else regarding the BTECS (or even your GCSEs).

Hi, thank you for taking your time to tell me about the course! I think I’m more interested in the Social Care side of the course but the health side sounds great as well. I’ve already had my interview for the Health & Social Care course and have got into that, just posted this as I am interested in music also and am self taught in guitar so if I can take multiple then I’ll apply for that too.
I think it depends on how many courses it counts for! There are Level 3 BTECs that are the equivalent of 1 A level, and some that are equivalent to 3. It'd be best to check with your course provider!
Original post by xelx
Hi, thank you for taking your time to tell me about the course! I think I’m more interested in the Social Care side of the course but the health side sounds great as well. I’ve already had my interview for the Health & Social Care course and have got into that, just posted this as I am interested in music also and am self taught in guitar so if I can take multiple then I’ll apply for that too.

Glad to hear you got accepted onto the course, have you been given the choice to decide whether you want to do either Health or Social Care? At the college I'm currently at, we had the chance to decide either Health or Social, and therefore you will do the units that correlate towards this. However, some units are general too! (I.e. the exam units).
It depends how big the BTECs you do are. There's 4 different sizes.
Certificate-half an a-level
Subsidiary diploma/extended certificate-1 a-level
Diploma-2 a-levels
Extended diploma-3 a-levels
I did a subdip in music, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by vicvic38
I think it depends on how many courses it counts for! There are Level 3 BTECs that are the equivalent of 1 A level, and some that are equivalent to 3. It'd be best to check with your course provider!

I believe the course I’m taking is equivalent to 1 A level but I’m not certain so I’ll make sure to check! Thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by Hazelly
Glad to hear you got accepted onto the course, have you been given the choice to decide whether you want to do either Health or Social Care? At the college I'm currently at, we had the chance to decide either Health or Social, and therefore you will do the units that correlate towards this. However, some units are general too! (I.e. the exam units).

At the interview they said that the first year we study both and we get to choose whether we do Health or Social in the second year.
Original post by xelx
I believe the course I’m taking is equivalent to 1 A level but I’m not certain so I’ll make sure to check! Thank you.

Do you know what level it is?

If you're doing the level 3 extended diploma that is two years long, it will usually be equivalent to three A levels.
Original post by xelx
At the interview they said that the first year we study both and we get to choose whether we do Health or Social in the second year.

That makes sense, are you doing health and social care at GCSE level as a general thought?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by remussjhj01
It depends how big the BTECs you do are. There's 4 different sizes.
Certificate-half an a-level
Subsidiary diploma/extended certificate-1 a-level
Diploma-2 a-levels
Extended diploma-3 a-levels
I did a subdip in music, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. :smile:

Thank you so much, this is really helpful as I wasn’t too sure what each meant!
The Health and Social course is extended certificate and the music one I’m interested in is a level 2 Diploma. Do you know if these would be okay to take together?
How did you find music, did you enjoy it and is it worth taking?
Yeah, so in theory, that would be equivalent to 3 a-levels, which is perfect. Check with your college, as there may be a timetabling issue, but you should be fine.
I really enjoyed btec music. I did the a-level too, so the btec was a really good opportunity to focus on performance, which is one of the things I'm planning to focus on at uni (the a-level got me really into theory and 20th century music, which I'm also planning to focus on at uni).
Both years we had a solo and ensemble performance, and then also had extra stuff to do as well, such as popular music history, which had a performance and essay, we had to organise a gig and then also had a unit on the music industry, which is the only one we did where there was no performance/practical at all.
I felt it was really beneficial to do, especially if you're more into performance and practical than theory. Obviously whether it was 'worth taking' will vary from person to person, but I felt it was great and also quite easy to do well in. I got a Distinction and only ever got really stressed at the music industry unit.
Reply 12
Original post by Hazelly
Do you know what level it is?

If you're doing the level 3 extended diploma that is two years long, it will usually be equivalent to three A levels.

Level 3 Extended Certificate. The first year is equivalent to one A level. When it goes onto the second year it’s a level 3 extended diploma.
Reply 13
Original post by remussjhj01
Yeah, so in theory, that would be equivalent to 3 a-levels, which is perfect. Check with your college, as there may be a timetabling issue, but you should be fine.
I really enjoyed btec music. I did the a-level too, so the btec was a really good opportunity to focus on performance, which is one of the things I'm planning to focus on at uni (the a-level got me really into theory and 20th century music, which I'm also planning to focus on at uni).
Both years we had a solo and ensemble performance, and then also had extra stuff to do as well, such as popular music history, which had a performance and essay, we had to organise a gig and then also had a unit on the music industry, which is the only one we did where there was no performance/practical at all.
I felt it was really beneficial to do, especially if you're more into performance and practical than theory. Obviously whether it was 'worth taking' will vary from person to person, but I felt it was great and also quite easy to do well in. I got a Distinction and only ever got really stressed at the music industry unit.

I’ll make sure to check, thank you. I think I’ll definitely try taking it if I’m able to!
Reply 14
Original post by Hazelly
That makes sense, are you doing health and social care at GCSE level as a general thought?

If I manage to pass Maths, which I’m hoping I will as I struggle on it a bit😂 I won’t be taking GCSE level as the person who interviewed me for the course think that I’m able to do Level 3 as long as I pass maths.
Original post by xelx
If I manage to pass Maths, which I’m hoping I will as I struggle on it a bit😂 I won’t be taking GCSE level as the person who interviewed me for the course think that I’m able to do Level 3 as long as I pass maths.

Good luck with your maths, I'm sure you will smash it! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Hazelly
Good luck with your maths, I'm sure you will smash it! :biggrin:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by xelx
Thank you so much! :smile:

No problem, if you need any help my PM is always open :smile:

Quick Reply