My parents treats me like a servant

Watch
itsanonymous
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I don't knowifthis is normal or not I'm 16 yo will turn 17 this year. My parents let me clean the house do the dishes, make tea, turn on and off the lights on, do the laundry make breakfast and dinner. I understand that I should help my parents but I also can't do all these chores alone they tell me we have a job we go to and this your job also I have a brother he is 18 I always argue that he should do some chores like me atleast clean up his room or remove the empty pepsi bottles from his room, meanwhile they start mimicking me and say yeah you want your brother to do chores he is a male my parents are literraly sexist. When I tell them I don't do the chores on time at 12:00 pm I should do the dishes at 1:00 I should do my parents room and my brother they will start telling me how I am useless and start to abuse me emotionally and always humilate me about my weight eventhough i dont think I am so fat ( I'm 56kg). I am literraly tired of this but also I don't know if I'm just being emotional about this is this normal?
xjxjx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by itsanonymous)
I don't knowifthis is normal or not I'm 16 yo will turn 17 this year. My parents let me clean the house do the dishes, make tea, turn on and off the lights on, do the laundry make breakfast and dinner. I understand that I should help my parents but I also can't do all these chores alone they tell me we have a job we go to and this your job also I have a brother he is 18 I always argue that he should do some chores like me atleast clean up his room or remove the empty pepsi bottles from his room, meanwhile they start mimicking me and say yeah you want your brother to do chores he is a male my parents are literraly sexist. When I tell them I don't do the chores on time at 12:00 pm I should do the dishes at 1:00 I should do my parents room and my brother they will start telling me how I am useless and start to abuse me emotionally and always humilate me about my weight eventhough i dont think I am so fat ( I'm 56kg). I am literraly tired of this but also I don't know if I'm just being emotional about this is this normal?
Chores are perfectly normal however, you should not be expected to cook for everyone and do everything every day. If you’re in education you should tell them that you would like extra time to focus on that! It’s also definitely not okay for them to body shame you as many people are insecure about their appearance and comments like that will not help. You’re definitely not ‘fat’ and you should be happy within yourself no matter what your parents say. Chores should be evened out between everyone in the household.
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
In my opinion, I dont think that's right.
Yes do some chores, but not all of them. The rest should be shared equally with other members of the family.
From an education point of view you are coming to a very important time of your life exams.
To stand the best chance of doing well you will need time to revise, you cant do this to the best of your ability if you are tired out.
Please speak to your parents, try to get them to lighten the load somewhat.
Good luck. X
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Some parents favour a very intense, traditionalist and disciplinarian style of parenting.
Housework on schedule, lots of daily chores, greeting their friends, preparing & serving the meals, demanding money from their child or involvement in their favourite forms of activism.

Sometimes family tradition, culture or religion play a role.
Other times it is just about what parents consider convenient to them.

When I lived at my parents home I wasn't allowed out on my own.
Got subjected to daily insults, frequent humiliation tactics and forced to perform hours of free labour for the benefit of their horrid pals.
I escaped when I was 18 before a level results were out and will never go back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (95)
28.44%
No - I have already returned home (44)
13.17%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
18.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (33)
9.88%
No - I live at home during term anyway (100)
29.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed