Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Im in my first year of university but have been struggling with the refrencing aspect/APA guide. My tutor wants to have a meeting with me because of two pieces of work that apparently broke academic misconduct. Apparently the whole tone of the meeting is to help me with me work and future assignments I submit but I am still really worried. I don't want to be kicked out of university as I really enjoy the course and if I am what do I do. I don't want to be working at Mcdonalds and flipping burgers all my life, I want to get somewhere, make my family proud of me and graduate in a subject I love
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Im in my first year of university but have been struggling with the refrencing aspect/APA guide. My tutor wants to have a meeting with me because of two pieces of work that apparently broke academic misconduct. Apparently the whole tone of the meeting is to help me with me work and future assignments I submit but I am still really worried. I don't want to be kicked out of university as I really enjoy the course and if I am what do I do. I don't want to be working at Mcdonalds and flipping burgers all my life, I want to get somewhere, make my family proud of me and graduate in a subject I love
They are not going to kick you out of university - they are going to help you get things right. Use this as a learning process.

All of us make mistakes - you think you are the first.....

It is great that you love your course - just get this aspect of it right. Honestly you have nothing to worry about
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I agree with the above. My son had to attend a similar meeting because his referencing was poor but once it was explained to him what the uni wanted he started to get better grades in his essays
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
any other advice
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
any other advice
Hello,

By now you might have had the meeting, if you have then hopefully you know what it is you need to work on and can start looking for ways to improve. If not then what you could do in the meantime (and certainly do even if you have had the chat) is to speak to your student administration and find out ways to improve your academic writing/referencing.

Some universities offer academic writing mentors who can sit with you for some time to go over work and point out issues and strengths in your writing/referencing. It can be a really helpful way to improve especially if you find it hard to extrapolate from essay feedback the ways to implement changes into your work.

I hope this helps!

Patrick :lep:
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey.

I understand the analogy, but there's nothing wrong with 'flipping burgers at McDonald's'. I wouldn't snub people, especially on a student forum where I'm sure a lot of that is the norm.

I've received poor marks from referencing, but never broken academic conduct. Although I am sure it's just to help you brush up on your referencing ability, there are guides on Google and YouTube that thoroughly explain how to do so.

Joshua
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello, im not snubbing people. Im just really worried. I only got 21 mark on that assignment and probably the same on the other assignment. I don't want to fail when im just getting used to university and meeting friends as well. Plus I have a house sorted for next year so if I do fail what on earth do I do. I want to be a success and not a disappointment in my family
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello, im not snubbing people. Im just really worried. I only got 21 mark on that assignment and probably the same on the other assignment. I don't want to fail when im just getting used to university and meeting friends as well. Plus I have a house sorted for next year so if I do fail what on earth do I do. I want to be a success and not a disappointment in my family
Just to clarify, is 21 your final mark for the assignment which was flagged for plagiarism? If so, that's unfortunately a fail if 40 is the pass mark. You'll probably get the opportunity to do a recapped resit during the summer, so don't panic too much.

Has the meeting with your adviser happened yet?
Anonymous #1
Yeah I had the meeting and went through reference techniques but of course I'm worried because if I fail the first year I have no idea what to do. I'm really enjoying university and the work and being independent. I dont think I could bear going back to live with my parents when I have actually made a life
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I had the meeting and went through reference techniques but of course I'm worried because if I fail the first year I have no idea what to do. I'm really enjoying university and the work and being independent. I dont think I could bear going back to live with my parents when I have actually made a life
You won't fail the first year unless you also fail your resits. Concentrate on your semester 2 assessments, and then you can focus on making your resits the best they can be. If you do fail first year (i.e. have to retake modules/assessments the following academic year), it's not the end of the world - it happens to so many people, but doesn't hold them back.
Anonymous #1
I know its not the end of the world but if I did fail how could I look my family in the eye. I am becoming so emotionally and physically independent away from them that not being at uni, doing the work and being with my friends would kill me. I want to move out of the place I am as quick as possible not stay there because I failed uni
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know its not the end of the world but if I did fail how could I look my family in the eye. I am becoming so emotionally and physically independent away from them that not being at uni, doing the work and being with my friends would kill me. I want to move out of the place I am as quick as possible not stay there because I failed uni
Just take on board the advice you have been given regarding referencing and any other academic tips, work hard and you will be fine. Unis don't want to fail people, they will give you second chances so make sure you take them and try not to get into a negative spiral.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (339)
60.43%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.17%