Wilson_18
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How I decide on whether I should do astrophysics or engineering physics? For context I am hoping to do mechanical engineering at university
Mrdesi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wilson_18)
How I decide on whether I should do astrophysics or engineering physics? For context I am hoping to do mechanical engineering at university
Our Physics teacher told us that it doesn't matter what option you pick, whether you want to work in an engineering discipline or not. Between the two options, I would advise you to go for Astrophysics, unless if you think your maths is really good.

Good luck with your choices!
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All the options, except medical physics are good ones. The class should have a vote, and the option taught should be what the majority voted for. One of the hallmarks of a bad school/teacher is that the students (who are the ones that have to sit the exam) aren't given the choice. And the mark of a really bad school is that students are forced to do medical physics. It's more or less the monkey see, monkey do option. The last thing most physics students, who aren't taking biology, want to do is learn about the eye, the ear and the heart.

Actually, even if you don't get taught it in school, you are still free to do whatever option you want. From what I've seen, when students are given the choice the most popular option is astrophysics.
Wilson_18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mrdesi)
Our Physics teacher told us that it doesn't matter what option you pick, whether you want to work in an engineering discipline or not. Between the two options, I would advise you to go for Astrophysics, unless if you think your maths is really good.

Good luck with your choices!
Thank you very much and I will definitely take your teacher’s words into consideration.
Wilson_18
Rep:
?
(Original post by David Getling)
All the options, except medical physics are good ones. The class should have a vote, and the option taught should be what the majority voted for. One of the hallmarks of a bad school/teacher is that the students (who are the ones that have to sit the exam) aren't given the choice. And the mark of a really bad school is that students are forced to do medical physics. It's more or less the monkey see, monkey do option. The last thing most physics students, who aren't taking biology, want to do is learn about the eye, the ear and the heart.

Actually, even if you don't get taught it in school, you are still free to do whatever option you want. From what I've seen, when students are given the choice the most popular option is astrophysics.
My class did have a vote and most wanted to do astrophysics, however as we have two physics teachers and a few people wanted to do engineering physics, both are an option for my class. My issue is I don’t know which I want to do. Thanks anyway, especially for your last paragraph.
Mrdesi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My class did have a vote and most wanted to do astrophysics, however as we have two physics teachers and a few people wanted to do engineering physics, both are an option for my class. My issue is I don’t know which I want to do. Thanks anyway, especially for your last paragraph.
Our teacher personally told our class that we should go with turning points in Physics, since the content covered is very much similar to the contents in our specification. Our class agreed and so we'll study turning points in Physics

I'm doing the AQA specification just to let you know.
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone know why Physics has optional topics whilst neither Biology nor Chemistry does?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
27.18%
No (75)
72.82%

Watched Threads