mushed
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In my textbook, when reading about monohybrid inheritance from Gregor Mendel's experiment, it says that the allele for green pods is dominant over yellow , however when I was reading about dihybrid inheritance it uses G for yellow and g for green- when the genotype is RrGg it is said to be yellow. How can this be? Surely no matter what green should be dominant, can anyone explain? Does it just depend upon the species of pea plant, as my teacher told my class we are expected to know that green is dominant, so in an exam would i just assume green is always dominant?
Last edited by mushed; 1 year ago
supergrad
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
In a dihybrid cross where traits are inherited independently you can get 4 different traits in offspring; round green, wrinkled green, round yellow, wrinkled yellow. The genotype RrGg is round and green pea (as round and green are dominant). You are usually told what the individual allele refers to and it's inheritance pattern. You can use this website to help: https://hobart.k12.in.us/jkousen/Biology/mendel.htm
Last edited by supergrad; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (66)
33.17%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.14%
No (52)
26.13%
I'm not sure (27)
13.57%

Watched Threads