The Student Room Group

Clearing with a GCSE Retake

Hi guys, so I am currently retaking my maths gcse and need to go from a 4 to a 7. I got rejected from 2 unis because they feel I am unlikely to achieve a 7 even though I exceed their BTEC requirement.

Although I am happy with my offers I received I want to try my luck through clearing and hopefully get in to a better uni. Right now my firm would be Uni of Birmingham and QMUL as insurance.

How would I go about this as GCSE results day is a week after A Level/BTEC results day. There would be no uni places by the time I get my gcse grade, so how would I go about this. I’m trying to get answers so I am prepared on the week of clearing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by S1M001
Hi guys, so I am currently retaking my maths gcse and need to go from a 4 to a 7. I got rejected from 2 unis because they feel I am unlikely to achieve a 7 even though I exceed their BTEC requirement.

Although I am happy with my offers I received I want to try my luck through clearing and hopefully get in to a better uni. Right now my firm would be Uni of Birmingham and QMUL as insurance.

How would I go about this as GCSE results day is a week after A Level/BTEC results day. There would be no uni places by the time I get my gcse grade, so how would I go about this. I’m trying to get answers so I am prepared on the week of clearing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You would have to get your Gcse result first then if your grade is high enough apply to the university you want to go to either through clearing or better still adjustment. You would only be able to do this if the universities still have places which they might not. If they dont you would need to apply with actual grades next year. I assume the 2 you are looking to go to are the ones who have rejected you. It is unlikely that a university that has already rejected you will take you through clearing.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
You would have to get your Gcse result first then if your grade is high enough apply to the university you want to go to either through clearing or better still adjustment. You would only be able to do this if the universities still have places which they might not. If they dont you would need to apply with actual grades next year. I assume the 2 you are looking to go to are the ones who have rejected you. It is unlikely that a university that has already rejected you will take you through clearing.

Hi, after getting rejected from Nottingham I emailed them and they said i am ‘welcome to get in touch to see if we can accommodate study’ so I might be able to apply though clearing. However I’m confused as gcse results are a week after clearing starts so most likely no spaces left. Thanks again!
Reply 3
Also would I be able to call on results day and have them wait till gcse results day?
They wont accept you until GCSE results day. Up until then you wont have the grades required. The probability is the likes of Nottingham will have filled their spaces but you can try. GCSE Maths grades are usually non negotiable for course like Science, Engineering, Economics, Computer Science and the like and it is highly unusual for someone to increase from a 4 to 7. This is why you got rejected. Maybe you would be better off trying to find a university that doesnt have this restriction.
Reply 5
They wont accept you until GCSE results day. Up until then you wont have the grades required. The probability is the likes of Nottingham will have filled their spaces but you can try. GCSE Maths grades are usually non negotiable for course like Science, Engineering, Economics, Computer Science and the like and it is highly unusual for someone to increase from a 4 to 7. This is why you got rejected. Maybe you would be better off trying to find a university that doesnt have this restriction.

Hello! I will try my best to make that jump however I’m confused as to how it will work as the competitive courses would likely be filled up on the day clearing starts. So by the time GCSE results day rolls up would I be at a disadvantage? Or would a uni try and make space for me? Thanks
Original post by S1M001
Hello! I will try my best to make that jump however I’m confused as to how it will work as the competitive courses would likely be filled up on the day clearing starts. So by the time GCSE results day rolls up would I be at a disadvantage? Or would a uni try and make space for me? Thanks

You would really have to ask the uni that but I very much doubt they will make an exception for you. If you dont have the right qualification on time you will very likely have to reapply with your actual grades next year. The probability will be that very competitive courses will be full be GCSE results day. This is the reason you should have retaken your Maths earlier although I think your school badly advised you on that.
Reply 7
You would really have to ask the uni that but I very much doubt they will make an exception for you. If you dont have the right qualification on time you will very likely have to reapply with your actual grades next year. The probability will be that very competitive courses will be full be GCSE results day. This is the reason you should have retaken your Maths earlier although I think your school badly advised you on that.

Yeh I regret not doing it earlier however I wasn’t even thinking of uni up until yr 13. Thanks for your help anyways 👌👌
I suspect your better option may be to accept somewhere and if you exceed your offer try through adjustment. At least that way you will have somewhere to go
Reply 9
I suspect your better option may be to accept somewhere and if you exceed your offer try through adjustment. At least that way you will have somewhere to go

Yeh luckily I have a firm and insurance so I’ll definitely be going uni but might go through adjustment. Is adjustment like clearing where there is a certain amount of places and everyone’s trying to get in to the uni? And does adjustment start with clearing?
Yes in a way but there are very few people get in though adjustment. You can only go through adjustment if you meet ALL and exceed at least ONE of the conditions of the offer. With clearing you have to give up all your offers to enter it so say you wished to apply to Nottingham. You would have to reject the place you are holding ie give up Birmingham and take a chance you will get accepted by Nottingham so you might end up with nothing. With adjustment you keep your Birmingham place whilst Nottingham decide whether they can accept you. If they do you can go to Nottingham instead of Birmingham but you can only do this if you exceed your offer. The problem with both and especially waiting for GCSE results day is accommodation. @PQ @harrysbar @Doones @Admit-One is there anything you can add to this.
The problem with both and especially waiting for GCSE results day is accommodation. @PQ @harrysbar @Doones @Admit-One is there anything you can add to this.

Not really - as you have said, all OP can do now is accept the best offers they have (Birmingham and QMUL) - which are good unis anyway - and see if Nottingham will accept them after they get their GCSE results. Like you, I would have thought it more likely that they will be full a week after A level Clearing but worth a try, especially if the course isn't a particularly competitive one
Reply 12
Thanks a lot for your help guys!! Much appreciated
What I am not certain of is whether meeting the BTEC offer and increasing the grade at GCSE Maths grade will qualify for adjustment or whether OP would have to exceed the BTEC as well. @PQ @harrysbar @Doones @Admit-One. Do any of you know the answer to this.
Reply 14
What I am not certain of is whether meeting the BTEC offer and increasing the grade at GCSE Maths grade will qualify for adjustment or whether OP would have to exceed the BTEC as well. @PQ @harrysbar @Doones @Admit-One. Do any of you know the answer to this.

I’m on track for D*D*D and my offers ask for D*DD and DDD so I will exceed it hopefully. Would I then qualify for adjustment?
If you exceed your BTEC offer you will definitely qualify for adjustment. Not sure whether you will if you just meet the offer and increase your GCSE grade. Hopefully someone like PQ might be able to give you a definite answer.
Original post by S1M001
I’m on track for D*D*D and my offers ask for D*DD and DDD so I will exceed it hopefully. Would I then qualify for adjustment?

You would have to meet any GCSE requirements in your offer too but if you meet all conditions and exceed one then you’re eligible for adjustment.

The thing to think about in the summer is whether you’d be willing to take a gap year and reapply if notts have no space or whether you’d be happy to stick with your firm.
Original post by PQ
You would have to meet any GCSE requirements in your offer too but if you meet all conditions and exceed one then you’re eligible for adjustment.

The thing to think about in the summer is whether you’d be willing to take a gap year and reapply if notts have no space or whether you’d be happy to stick with your firm.

Just for clarity would meeting the BTEC and improving the GCSE Maths count as exceeding. OP would have been made an offer without a Maths requirement as they have grade 4 but the preferred university requires grade 7. Is the timetable for adjustment still in at the time GCSE results are out. Would there be any way the school or exam board could release the GCSE result earlier as it is holding up the adjustment.
Just for clarity would meeting the BTEC and improving the GCSE Maths count as exceeding. OP would have been made an offer without a Maths requirement as they have grade 4 but the preferred university requires grade 7. Is the timetable for adjustment still in at the time GCSE results are out. Would there be any way the school or exam board could release the GCSE result earlier as it is holding up the adjustment.

If the firm offer didn’t specify a gcse grade then they can’t exceed the offer just on the gcse grade.

OP would be entered into adjustment on A level results day if they meet/exceed their offer based on btec results alone. Their adjustment period would expire before gcse results day.

Given they would be enquiring back to one of their organic 5 choices then they could do that while placed with their firm and release themselves into clearing and apply using that if Nottingham say they have space.

Adjustment isn’t a useful tool for applicants waiting for gcse results unless their firm offer is conditional on gcse results (which would mean they would be unconditional and adjustment would start for them only after the gcse results)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending