The Student Room Group

Spain wants to annex Gibraltar

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
How so?

Because my good friend regardless of what anyone on here thinks the EU were desperate us to remain, but now they know that is impossible and our transition period cannot even be stretched the reality of their predicament is beginning to show.

They do want us to have a free trade agreement because they do realise that without one they are indeed the ones with more to lose, Germany is close to recession, the EU will be losing a significant chunk of it's capita, populism is on the rise and there are some big elections due, employment would fall through the floor which would only serve to further the rise of populism.

The UK economy is already set to outperform the eurozone

https://www.theweek.co.uk/105298/imf-british-economy-to-grow-faster-than-eurozone

And we would have carte blanche to set whatever tariffs and taxes we wished, right on their doorstep, the EU's worst nightmare.

If you think that Spain haggling over sovereignty of Gibraltar, which Gibraltan's furiously oppose, will be allowed to get in the way of a deal then you are very sadly mistaken
Original post by ColinDent
Because my good friend regardless of what anyone on here thinks the EU were desperate us to remain, but now they know that is impossible and our transition period cannot even be stretched the reality of their predicament is beginning to show.

They do want us to have a free trade agreement because they do realise that without one they are indeed the ones with more to lose, Germany is close to recession, the EU will be losing a significant chunk of it's capita, populism is on the rise and there are some big elections due, employment would fall through the floor which would only serve to further the rise of populism.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/105298/imf-british-economy-to-grow-faster-than-eurozone

And we would have carte blanche to set whatever tariffs and taxes we wished, right on their doorstep, the EU's worst nightmare.

If you think that Spain haggling over sovereignty of Gibraltar, which Gibraltan's furiously oppose, will be allowed to get in the way of a deal then you are very sadly mistaken

Original post by imlikeahermit

Laugh it up, the EU certainly ain't.
Laugh it up, the EU certainly ain't.

Absolute load of *******s from start to finish.

We are worth about 8% of overall EU trade.

Secondly in 2018, UK exports to the EU were £291 billion (45% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £357 billion (53% of all UK imports).

Once you start adding tariffs and WTO rules to that, we're ****ed. Sugar coat it all you want, we rely on them a hell of a lot more than they rely on us.
Absolute load of *******s from start to finish.

We are worth about 8% of overall EU trade.

Secondly in 2018, UK exports to the EU were £291 billion (45% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £357 billion (53% of all UK imports).

Once you start adding tariffs and WTO rules to that, we're ****ed. Sugar coat it all you want, we rely on them a hell of a lot more than they rely on us.

https://youtu.be/lTYe9eDqxe8
Reply 25

I made absolutely no comment on the matter i simply asked what you meant.
With that being said, i rather doubt the EU are about to bend over and take it up the ass for the UK. Especially as its backing Spain.
Original post by Napp
I made absolutely no comment on the matter i simply asked what you meant.
With that being said, i rather doubt the EU are about to bend over and take it up the ass for the UK. Especially as its backing Spain.

No one said anything about the EU taking anything in their anus holes, a fair deal is all that's required.
And the cracks in EU unity are already appearing, Spain will do as they are told, the entire EU experiment/project is at stake.
Gibraltar in spanish hands?????

An armada is in order, methinks

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Would be very interesting to see the people of Gibraltars view on this. If my memory serves me correctly they voted heavily to remain. I would think, they would be very happy to have Spain annex them.

They also voted very heavily (i.e. more than 95%) to remain in the UK
Would be very interesting to see the people of Gibraltars view on this. If my memory serves me correctly they voted heavily to remain. I would think, they would be very happy to have Spain annex them.

Happy to annex them? 😂

From which parallel universe are you typing - Lol

Maybe consider their actual views instead of pure conjecture based on spite
If Spain kicks off about Gibraltar, the UK should publicly back Catalonian independence and cause a big headache for Spain. I would then go further and start recognising Catalonia as an independent state and pressuring other countries to do the same. As a last resort, bomb Spanish military bases in a preemptive strike.
Original post by AntiMonarchist
They also voted very heavily (i.e. more than 95%) to remain in the UK

And in the recent October elections voted heavily (i.e. 80%) for pro-British parties.
Menorca was recovered in 1782, pirates.
Hello, I'm Shawn the Un-knowing American why don't we that's you The UK and we The Yankees Try to sell back The US state of Florida back to Spain along with The Key Islands, and oh we will have the US Marines Break out Geutomino Bay and have them over throw The Communist Government and keep Cuba under joint UK and US Occupation, and sell Cuba
that is sell Cuba back to s Spain too, We Can make Bank on this one guys, I know how small Gibraltar (The Iberian Peninsula) really is.
Spain has some of the worst youth unemployment figures in Europe.
Perhaps they're planning a war over Gib to find something for the youth to do. 😆
Well if those statistics are true, and I fairly aware of the small geographic dimensions of Gibraltar coupled with just how advanced Western European Military Equipment is so much comparable to our U.S. military equipment that something just like that could lead to a reduction in quite a many European Nations population of 16-25 year olds. And can we Yanks join in on this Gibraltar argument when goes containental? The Un-Knowing American and where is The Bangali girl she still has yet to answer my questions as to how come I can see through the sky at night, though I can not during the day and what in the heavens is that big bright ball of intense light that emits heat that is visible only at day light hours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending