The Student Room Group

Fallen out with parents- can't stop crying.

hi everyone!
am just looking for some advice really:frown:(

Basically i'm in my third year of university and am currently on my year abroad over here in France. Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying my year abroad so far but the job that I'm working in can get really stressful at times, and just generally living over here and trying to manage your own life whilst holding down and keeping on top of that job can be hard.

I've always been really close to my parents, and speak to them on the phone almost every day whilst I'm over here. We just generally talk about each other's days and mostly I do tell them what's been going wrong in my job, and whether they have any advice on how they think I could solve it. Recently though I've been feeling quite disconnected from myself and others, it's hard to explain, like basically all I seem to do is talk about what's worrying me rather than ask them how they are. It seems basically like all of our phone calls are centered around me and my problems. The thing is, I love them to bits, and I do acknowledge that I am acting a little selfishly,(and I especially after the phone-call ends), but at the same time I'm so used to them being there, that I can't imagine not asking their advice.

Anyway, this week's been an exceptionally stressful one at the job, and I've called them many times to talk about it with them. They have said to me today though that I need to start learning to deal with things myself (which I completely get!) because it's a big burden for them to take on their shoulders when they can't physically be with me to help me through it. I guess they feel helpless but at the same time, I feel like if my Mum or Dad phoned me with a problem, I would more than happily sit there on the phone for hours with them to sort it out because that's just what family do.

Don't get me wrong I know I've been selfish and I'm really doing everything in my power not to be, but by worrying all the time I think my parents basically feel like they're living my problems with me, and they're exhausted. We had a heated argument earlier today and I've been upset ever since. I think they think I care about no-one other than myself, which is not the case, I just think maybe I rely on them too much?

Where do I go from here? How do I make it up to them?

Any advice would be really appreciated:frown: thank you everyone- sorry it's a long one x
Are you able to change your job so that you are happier? If it is possible to change it as this would show your parents that you can sort out your own problems You can then either ring their local florist send them flowers saying sorry I was really stressed I have changed jobs or email or text them saying the same. I hope you can sort both ends of your situation. Sometimes in life we find ourselves in the wrong job or with the wrong person and it's a learning curve on how not to have such crap in our lives and we gain confidence when we have sorted it. Let me know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending