How will suspension years from university affect my chance at getting a 'good' job?

Watch
hlnpampl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, basically: half way through university (year 2) of a veterinary medicine course I dropped out for two years to improve my mental health.

In short, I was suffering with a lot of anxiety about the workload, with social anxiety and depression.

However, now my mental health is manageable, I have started to feel a deep dread about what this gap in my education will mean for my career.

In conjunction with this, I have also gone to a good but not 'top' university (Uni of Liverpool).

My aim, since I was very young, has been to do really well academically and in my career. I was really hoping to apply for either Medicine or for a firm such as Newton's (for consulting).

Due to my mental health, and the university I have gone to: do you think I will be at a significant disadvantage when I eventually come to applying for internships or a place at medical school?

Alternatively, do you think there is anything I can do to 'make-up' for my situation?

If it turns out I've completely scuppered my chances, I may as well transfer to an easier course. But my hope was, if I carry on with a v hard course then I will look better on paper than if I were to take out yet another year to do say Biology.

Please, please help.
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hlnpampl)
So, basically: half way through university (year 2) of a veterinary medicine course I dropped out for two years to improve my mental health.

In short, I was suffering with a lot of anxiety about the workload, with social anxiety and depression.

However, now my mental health is manageable, I have started to feel a deep dread about what this gap in my education will mean for my career.

In conjunction with this, I have also gone to a good but not 'top' university (Uni of Liverpool).

My aim, since I was very young, has been to do really well academically and in my career. I was really hoping to apply for either Medicine or for a firm such as Newton's (for consulting).

Due to my mental health, and the university I have gone to: do you think I will be at a significant disadvantage when I eventually come to applying for internships or a place at medical school?

Alternatively, do you think there is anything I can do to 'make-up' for my situation?

If it turns out I've completely scuppered my chances, I may as well transfer to an easier course. But my hope was, if I carry on with a v hard course then I will look better on paper than if I were to take out yet another year to do say Biology.

Please, please help.
I doubt they'd care about the 2 year gap. If you're clever enough you'll get it regardless if you're 23 or 26 (or however old you are).
I don't think they would mind that you had mental health problems at all, but you don't have to mention them.
U of Liverpool is still very good. Try and get a 2:1 or a 1st to make it even even better.
Seriously, don't write away your dreams, you're in a great spot.
Best of luck with your mental health
hlnpampl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
I doubt they'd care about the 2 year gap. If you're clever enough you'll get it regardless if you're 23 or 26 (or however old you are).
I don't think they would mind that you had mental health problems at all, but you don't have to mention them.
U of Liverpool is still very good. Try and get a 2:1 or a 1st to make it even even better.
Seriously, don't write away your dreams, you're in a great spot.
Best of luck with your mental health
Thank you for your reply and kindness
Best wishes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (45)
5.89%
Uncertainty around my education (88)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.47%
Lack of purpose or motivation (98)
12.83%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.24%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.63%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (83)
10.86%
Financial worries (51)
6.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (33)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.28%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.14%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.42%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (59)
7.72%

Watched Threads