how are substances seperated in fractional distillation

Watch
liamlarner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
In fractional distillation how are substances separated in this particular instance Isopropanol(ethanol) and water to separate both substances and collect them as pure substances separated
username5152032
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
A water and ethanol mixture is heated in a flask using an electric heater. Vapour forms in the air above the mixture in the flask.
The boiling point of ethanol is 78°C. Ethanol vapour passes into the condenser, where it is cooled and condensed. Liquid ethanol drips into a beaker.
When most of the ethanol has left, water vapour at 100°C passes into the condenser, where it is cooled and condensed. Liquid water now drips into the beaker.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
In fractional distillation how are substances separated in this particular instance Isopropanol(ethanol) and water to separate both substances and collect them as pure substances separated
You wouldn't use fractional distillation, just the normal one would do.

Fractional would involve boiling everything then having a fractionating tower inside which be different temperatures allowing different fractions (gases that condense at certain temperatures) to condense. Think crude oil - a very complex mixture.

Simple distillation (as hexadentate) described will do nicely.
liamlarner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Pigster)
You wouldn't use fractional distillation, just the normal one would do.

Fractional would involve boiling everything then having a fractionating tower inside which be different temperatures allowing different fractions (gases that condense at certain temperatures) to condense. Think crude oil - a very complex mixture.

Simple distillation (as hexadentate) described will do nicely.
yes but the question i am answering is asking how it would be separated using fractional distillation
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
yes but the question i am answering is asking how it would be separated using fractional distillation
In which case, what I said.

Research frac. dist. of crude oil for more detail.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed