The Student Room Group

motivation?

usually, I get really distracted throughout the sem and only start to panic when exams are near. what do you guys do to motivate yourself to study daily? I have some friends who does solid 8 hours of studying a day and was just wondering how do you study for so long everyday? xx
Take plenty of breaks in between. Study or read solidly for 45-50 minutes then take a 5 minute break, grab a cup of tea or something. That way you're breaking it into manageable chunks rather than trudging on for hours at a time.
Original post by wernzle
usually, I get really distracted throughout the sem and only start to panic when exams are near. what do you guys do to motivate yourself to study daily? I have some friends who does solid 8 hours of studying a day and was just wondering how do you study for so long everyday? xx

I always try and get a good mental and physical foundation beforehand. Go for a walk, drink a lot of water, tidy your area, get rid of distractions etc. I find it impossible to revise if my head's all over the place.
Also, make a schedule and stick to it
Original post by wernzle

Hello Wernzle,

I try to motivate myself everyday by setting myself a different task to do each-day! I find studying for long periods of time, strains me. So small bursts throughout the day works best for me, drinking lots of water and eating snacks helps me a lot!!

I hope this is helpful! Good Luck with your studies :smile:
Original post by wernzle

I always broke down what I wanted to achieve each day into little chunks i.e. read 1 chapter for a tutorial, write a paragraph for an upcoming assignment. Then my workload seemed more manageable and I rewarded myself after completing each little task i.e. get a drink, go on facebook for 10mins.

My friends were also like-minded and motivated so working next to them always helped me to stay on track :smile:
The book "Think Less Learn More" by Dr Srini Pillay really helped me. The book is about the advantages of balancing periods of intense focus (reading, problem solving, memorising) and unfocus (going for a walk in nature, having a chat with a friend, daydreaming), and how using both can help you to study more effectively. It also talks about how too much focus can be counter-productive.

I would also add that everyone has a different ability in terms of how long they can study effectively, so perhaps you could find out how long you can study without getting distracted, and take breaks when you need to. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending