Is it illegal, under English law, to stop Chinese students from going home for the ho Watch

EtonWorldDoppler
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Apparently, according to the Daily Mail, some boarding schools, including Hertford Cathedral School, have "banned" Chinese pupils from going home to see their family.

This sounds highly suspect and the legality is questionable, "global health emergency" or not. Worst case, I would have thought an "advisory bulletin" would have been put out.

Is this illegal?
Dee-Emma
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
..........Apparently, according to the Daily Mail.......
Newspaper reports are seldom precise and often simplify or exaggerate. If there's any basis in the story at all it's more likely 'implore' , 'advise', or 'request' rather than ban, with the possible sanction of 'if you do go then don't come back until the situation is resolved'. Worth fact checking if it's relevant to you, otherwise recycle the newspaper and move on.
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EtonWorldDoppler)
Apparently, according to the Daily Mail, some boarding schools, including Hertford Cathedral School, have "banned" Chinese pupils from going home to see their family.

This sounds highly suspect and the legality is questionable, "global health emergency" or not. Worst case, I would have thought an "advisory bulletin" would have been put out.

Is this illegal?
Uh, daily mail

They haven’t banned Chinese students from going home, it’s because they actually can’t go home. Pretty much all flights have been cancelled. I know someone who goes to a boarding school and she was saying that the Chinese students couldn’t go home because the school had been told by authorities that there were no flights to China
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It would be a pretty irresponsible school that let students pack and leave knowing full well they won't make it past the airport.

So no, I don't think this is a scandal. As the above posted alluded to, stop reading the Daily Mail and treating it as fact. It's an outrage generator, nothing more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (377)
67.32%
No (183)
32.68%

Watched Threads