The Student Room Group

A level choices

Currently in yr11 and choosing my A- level choices , I have chosen 2 of them and stuck on the 3rd between English Literature and History . I enjoy both equally , which one would you say could be the better option ?
What are the two you have chosen?
Reply 2
if you know what course you would like to study at uni then those the subject which is more related to that course. Or have a look at the scheme of work and see what you think u would find easier. Would it be possible for u to have like a 'taster' lesson for both subjects so that u can make a decision?
Original post by camspot614
What are the two you have chosen?

Dance and Phycology
Original post by Kaz_xx
if you know what course you would like to study at uni then those the subject which is more related to that course. Or have a look at the scheme of work and see what you think u would find easier. Would it be possible for u to have like a 'taster' lesson for both subjects so that u can make a decision?

I want to go into midwifery so I am taking the phycology as my social science . I have had a taster lesson in both but just really struggling on which one would suit me more and getting the same grades on both at the moment
Original post by Abi_Dance
Dance and Phycology

Okay well then I'd go with trying both out simply because of the nature of a levels obviously both will require a lot of essay work and reading outside of lessons so it would benefit you if you choose the one you enjoy the most.
Original post by camspot614
Okay well then I'd go with trying both out simply because of the nature of a levels obviously both will require a lot of essay work and reading outside of lessons so it would benefit you if you choose the one you enjoy the most.

It’s just in terms of both of them which one is more of a step up from GCSE
It’s just in terms of both of them which one is more of a step up from GCSE

Erm, I'm not sure which would be the biggest step up to be honest. I would guess that it would be history but I could be wrong
Reply 8
I take AQA English Lit and Politics (which is similar to History). Personally I found English Lit to be the subject which was the least of a step up from GCSE, as it is basically the same process just with a lot more books. If you took History GCSE you know that it is one of the subjects with the heaviest workload, and it is the same for Politics/History A-Level.
Reply 9
i take both. english literature has been extremely useful for me, both through widening my vocabulary but also helping me articulate myself better. if you enjoy reading it’s very fulfilling and it’s not too hard to comprehend (although writing essays can be quite difficult at first). so if you have a passion for it then it’s perfect.

equally, i study history and want to do it as a degree so i am slightly bias. however, it definitely takes a lot more of my time than literature as it’s a lot of memorising, timelines and so forth. the essay structure is also something that takes a moment or two to get to grips with. however, there is nothing i love more. it’s opened up many doors, expanded my cultural capital, increased my appreciation for numerous things and also been a pleasure to study. it is heavy in terms of the workload but it pays off.

in short, i think it may be best to go with the subject that excites you the most because you’ll do better in it.

also, you should consider waiting for gcse results. i changed my a levels very last minute, i knew what i wanted in that moment and i haven’t regretted it since. although part of me wishes i chose latin or economics but it wasn’t open to me :frown:
Currently in yr11 and choosing my A- level choices , I have chosen 2 of them and stuck on the 3rd between English Literature and History . I enjoy both equally , which one would you say could be the better option ?

If possible, I would apply for all four. If by Spetember you still haven't chosen between them, start studying all 4 subjects and as you learn more about them it should become more apparent which is your favourite. No need to rush into a big decision.

Do you know what kind of career you want in the future or if planning to go to uni, what you would like to study? If you do know, consider picking the most related subject. But if you dont know (and you really dont need to know or worry about what you want to in the future at this stage) dont worry.

Also think about: what grades are you likely to achieve in these two subjects at GCSE? If you are likely to do much better in one than the other then this is also a factor.

At the end of the day, both English Literature and History are very useful and valued A-Level choices as they are both considered facilitating subjects. Choose your favourite and what you think you'll do well in, but dont rush.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest