Ewhiskerd8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I finished my mocks in mid January, and I was fairly happy with my results.
I was wondering does anyone have an idea when to start proper revision for GCSEs? I’ve been doing little bits and pieces but I’m aiming for mostly 9s so I know I need to work hard to achieve this.

When should I start revising?
l-duke-l
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think that the obvious answer is that you should start revising as early as you can. This is so that you can develop good habits and feel more prepared for the future as you have revision resources that you have created at the ready. Now if only I could follow my own advice...
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ewhiskerd8)
I finished my mocks in mid January, and I was fairly happy with my results.
I was wondering does anyone have an idea when to start proper revision for GCSEs? I’ve been doing little bits and pieces but I’m aiming for mostly 9s so I know I need to work hard to achieve this.

When should I start revising?
Why not just start revising now? What's the point in leaving it till the last minute?
ᴅ ᴀ ɴ ɪ ᴇ ʟ
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah, like Hazelly said. Start revising now. It's better than leaving it till last minute.
Ewhiskerd8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hazelly)
Why not just start revising now? What's the point in leaving it till the last minute?
Yep I tend to leave things to the last minute but I have officially started revising now! Bring on the next few months 😬
m0rb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ewhiskerd8)
Yep I tend to leave things to the last minute but I have officially started revising now! Bring on the next few months 😬
same here! There's so much content and the fact that we have MORE content to learn is frightening. Good luck to you
Ewhiskerd8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by m0rb)
same here! There's so much content and the fact that we have MORE content to learn is frightening. Good luck to you
I’m sure we will be fine!! Good luck to you too!
MattClaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I achieved 9 A’s and 1 A* and began my serious revision in mid march. Should be a good indicator.
Ra07
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by l-duke-l)
I think that the obvious answer is that you should start revising as early as you can. This is so that you can develop good habits and feel more prepared for the future as you have revision resources that you have created at the ready. Now if only I could follow my own advice...
I feel you 😂
Cherrygrape1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MattClaw)
I achieved 9 A’s and 1 A* and began my serious revision in mid march. Should be a good indicator.
Wow that’s amazing!! How did you revise?
MattClaw
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ezza1234)
Wow that’s amazing!! How did you revise?
I simply went flat out, my revision technique is extremely old school and it’s simply rewrite out everything until it’s in your head and repeat that process until it’s in your long term memory. I don’t bother writing out notes much, it never made sense to me, i just absorb my textbook as best I can. It’s definitely a very rough and dull technique but damn does it pay off.
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I simply went flat out, my revision technique is extremely old school and it’s simply rewrite out everything until it’s in your head and repeat that process until it’s in your long term memory. I don’t bother writing out notes much, it never made sense to me, i just absorb my textbook as best I can. It’s definitely a very rough and dull technique but damn does it pay off.
How long does it take you to revise one topic of sciences with this method?
MattClaw
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I honestly can’t remember, revising sciences using this method at a level though is very efficient, but tiring to say the least.
It’s a very disciplinary method, so if you’re willing to spend hours at a desk with no distractions then without a doubt a science topic would be done within a few hours.
But in essence it’s selective so it depends on the person, how easily they are distracted, their attitude and their cognitive ability i suppose.
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I honestly can’t remember, revising sciences using this method at a level though is very efficient, but tiring to say the least.
It’s a very disciplinary method, so if you’re willing to spend hours at a desk with no distractions then without a doubt a science topic would be done within a few hours.
But in essence it’s selective so it depends on the person, how easily they are distracted, their attitude and their cognitive ability i suppose.
Ok thank you!!
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you are wanting some practice questions there’s a company atm raising money for an expedition to help charities in s america, who are sending out english lit/lang papers gcse and they are being marked by real gcse aqa english markers, and with that are given back detailed feedback on how to improve, i did it this time last year and it got me from grade 6 to full marks in the real exam for paper 2 lit ) thought this may be a help for revision
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by azby1098)
if you are wanting some practice questions there’s a company atm raising money for an expedition to help charities in s america, who are sending out english lit/lang papers gcse and they are being marked by real gcse aqa english markers, and with that are given back detailed feedback on how to improve, i did it this time last year and it got me from grade 6 to full marks in the real exam for paper 2 lit ) thought this may be a help for revision
What did you get in your gcse English then?
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
9 in language and an 8 in literature (1 mark off) - i got 96/96 in paper two however
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
the service really helped me to get them ngl, they gave me really good feedback and it’s all for a charity
laurawatt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I must say that this revision technique works for very few people - by all means try it, but if you’re not making improvements then try something else
Cherrygrape1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by azby1098)
9 in language and an 8 in literature (1 mark off) - i got 96/96 in paper two however
Wow that’s amazing well done!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (344)
60.46%
Yes- I don't like it (30)
5.27%