Prince William furious over ‘all-white Bafta nominations’ Watch

Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Irrelevant person makes irrelevant statement on irrelevant awards... meh.
Pinkisk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
Meh I disagree. Last year there were numerous BME nominees and winners, in fact they were probably over represented. I don't doubt racism exists I just disagree that actors this year were overlooked because of it. The BAFTA committee isn't full of subconsciously racist people
Well, don't rule it out entirely. Give them a chance to prove it. One of the reasons I asked "is what William is insinuating in this issue true?", is because they have not presented any evidence to support the fact that it is. The Bafta awards all going to whites does not mean that this is caused by racism. Correlation does not mean causation.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 3 weeks ago
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
Well, don't rule it out entirely. Give them a chance to prove its existence. One of the reasons I wrote is accepting what William is insinuating in this issue true, is because they have not presented any evidence to support the fact that it is. The Bafta awards all going to whites does not mean that this is caused by racism. Correlation does not mean causation.
I agree with that. Racism could be the real reason (though I don't know how you would prove it unless there was evidence some BAFTA people have been racist before). I just doubt it is, because a) there weren't that many decent bme film productions/performances last year in the first place and b) there have been loads of bme winners and nominees in the past
Occitanie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
If more “white” people this year were better then they should be nominated for the awards, as soon as people start saying there should be equal representation then people from all sides are missing out on nomination because of something as trivial as skin colour.
This. /thread
Pinkisk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
I agree with that. Racism could be the real reason (though I don't know how you would prove it unless there was evidence some BAFTA people have been racist before). I just doubt it is, because a) there weren't that many decent bme film productions/performances last year in the first place and b) there have been loads of bme winners and nominees in the past
I just do not want to close the door on racism being a factor, mostly because I have first, second and third hand experience of discrimination hurting people, no, utterly destroying the lives of some. I want to be reasonable. Dismissing racism as a potential cause of disparities, without first listing to the evidence, is potentially denying people who suffer this form of abuse, relief and justice.
Last edited by Pinkisk; 3 weeks ago
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I just do not want to close the door on racism being a factor. I want to be reasonable, mostly because I have first, second and third hand experience of discrimination hurting people, no, utterly destroying the lives of some. Dismissing racism as a potential cause of disparities, without first listing to the evidence, is potentially denying people who suffer this form of abuse, relief and justice.
fair enough
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There is a reasonable likelihood that she was, not only because she is white but because she is a woman. I have come across countless feminists in positions of authority that openly admit to discrimination in favour of women. They tend to always discriminate in favour of white women.
I'm not aware of any likelihood, this is assuming that there may be racism everywhere by default and placing the onus on the 'defendant' to prove his innocence. Should they just nominate someone non-white for the sake of it, is that what has to occur to placate those sniffing racism? I'm aware of the Magna Carta and the trend to exploit the issue of race by slebs in pursuit of their commercial interests and that is pretty much what William seems to be doing here. Whether he knows it or not is beside the point, he's growing into his new status of royal wokeness.

We kid ourselves by looking at the Baftas or Oscars as a measurement of anything, they reflect the business nature of the industry and of course the big players and investors will have their product promoted through them, everyone works together and the so-called judges are not there to get moral about anything. A blockbuster by a mogul is always going to figure and actors nominated are a vehicle for publicity all round. It's all a commercial feast, having that woman nominated twice is also a double reminder of a movie that people simply shouldn't miss. It could also be for being a woman or simply bluddy good at it, that makes commercial sense too. The day it becomes lucrative to nominate others that will happen, there's a natural progression to all this.

i see no reason whatsoever to drag racism into this, that means some people would have been ignored because of their race and we can't let this atmosphere become even more insidious and prejudicial to relations between everyone. There's nothing more aggravating than ethnic actors or musicians that start shouting racism as soon as they become millionaires.
Last edited by z-hog; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
The only reason this is posted from such a venerabl rag as the Daily Express is because it points to the UK being racist and they never have this problem in wonderful China. No worries about their film ceremonies and awards. They lead the way.

It is the angery penguin way.

Shame on you UK for being racists, hail China which always rewards its ethnic minorities.

Who gives a toss what William thinks?
Last edited by 999tigger; 3 weeks ago
z-hog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Who gives a toss what William thinks?
You're right, it's William and I thought it was Harry. Same thing applies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads