The Student Room Group

Should I just give up on driving?

I have been driving for a while now. Since October/November. I have had a driving instructor who always made me feel nervous which ended up with me making mistakes. I felt like i was making progress on some lessons and other lessons i felt like i was doing badly. She ended up never contacting me again after her so called holiday so I got a different instructor who is well known and liked. He did say Im making progress very slowly but I feel like he still gets annoyed at me.
(edited 4 years ago)
No
Original post by Ddazzle
I have been driving for a while now. Since October/November. I have had a driving instructor who always made me feel nervous which ended up with me making mistakes. I felt like i was making progress on some lessons and other lessons i felt like i was doing badly. She ended up never contacting me again after her so called holiday so I got a different instructor who is well known and liked. He did say Im making progress very slowly but I feel like he still gets annoyed at me.

Learning a new skill can be frustrating and takes time to become automatic. How important is being able to drive to you? Do you recognise your mistakes without being told? How long and far apart are your lessons?
Be patient, it took me just under a year to learn no lie. I think partly because I was so nervous at the beginning etc but now I’m about to book my test. Just hang in there
Doesn't sound like you've found the right instructor yet. I've been having lessons for a year now and my instructor has never once got annoyed with me, he gets exasperated when I make a stupid mistake or do something we've gone over loads of times before but that's about it. Keep perservering.
Reply 5
Original post by RogerOxon
Learning a new skill can be frustrating and takes time to become automatic. How important is being able to drive to you? Do you recognise your mistakes without being told? How long and far apart are your lessons?

I really want to learn how to drive badly but cant help but feel like im not good enough. I do notice the mistakes i make without being told but i sometimes end up making them accidentally. I have a 2 hour lesson a week.
Reply 6
Original post by anonymoustony
Be patient, it took me just under a year to learn no lie. I think partly because I was so nervous at the beginning etc but now I’m about to book my test. Just hang in there

Thank you. I hope my nerves go eventually when driving.
Do you get any practice between lessons?
Reply 8
Original post by ReadingMum
Do you get any practice between lessons?

No I don't.
Reply 9
Original post by bones-mccoy
Doesn't sound like you've found the right instructor yet. I've been having lessons for a year now and my instructor has never once got annoyed with me, he gets exasperated when I make a stupid mistake or do something we've gone over loads of times before but that's about it. Keep perservering.

Thanks. :smile: Deep down i believe i can pass
Don't give up! I felt the same when I started driving - my first instructor was so impatient and mean, she used to make me pull over and then shouted at me for my mistakes. It completely put me off, and I thought I would be a lost cause. Three driving instructors later along with some perseverance, I passed my test third time. I'm so glad I didn't give up because although I'm still not the most confident, at one point during my learning journey, I thought I'd never get to this point!

Honestly, when you start learning to drive, you'll be bad - don't be disheartened because you will improve before you know it! No driving instructor will be 'annoyed' at a learner - they're being paid to teach you and have patience! Don't give up!!!! Best of luck x
Not getting practice will make it harder as you forget things over the week. 2 hour lessons will help with that but there is no getting away from putting the hours in to get the result. My daughter started with lessons every other day for the first week then dropped to one or two lessons a week. We started taking her out to practice as soon as she seemed to be safe on the road - it was scary as hell but it helped with her confidence. In the last week or 2 before her test I took her out nearly every night, concentrating on roads that were on the test routes. She passed 4 months after her 17th birthday with not even a minor. It would have taken a lot longer without the interim practice - you need to build up experience so that basic actions are automatic rather than having to consciously do them.
Original post by sourapples
Don't give up! I felt the same when I started driving - my first instructor was so impatient and mean, she used to make me pull over and then shouted at me for my mistakes. It completely put me off, and I thought I would be a lost cause.

you have to question whether some people really have the temperament for the job if they shout at their students.
Reply 13
Just be yourself when driving. I started taking lessons in December and so far have only had 16 hours of practice altogether. And I believe I am test-ready (I have 4 more hours of practice left before my exam). Just make sure you don't keep thinking about the instructor when you're driving- so when, for example, you are entering a roundabout, think early and careful that you give priority to people on your right and also adjust your speed appropriately. I have a good instructor, so I don't know how it is to have a bad one. But I guess they get annoyed when you make a mistake. In this case, just visualise the mistake you had and try find ways of overcoming that problem the next time round. Also revise before your driving lesson- watch a quick video on "junctions" for example. This way you are less likely to make mistakes and so instructor may not get frustrated. Be confident !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending