Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
For most Scottish students another year of prelim exams is now over :woo: :yay:

How did yours go? Did you surprise yourself with what you knew? Were some subjects more tricky than you expected? Have you done anything nice to reward your efforts afterwards?

Rate how each of your prelims went with a smiley...

E.g.
Nat 5 English
Higher Geography
Nat 5 Physics
Higher Maths
Last edited by Labrador99; 2 weeks ago
Kubsyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Labrador99)

How did yours go? Did you surprise yourself with what you knew? Were some subjects more tricky than you expected? Have you done anything nice to reward your efforts afterwards?

pineapplepink
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Higher:
English
Geography
French
Music
Chemistry
Labrador99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kubsyy)
is pretty good at this stage- still plenty of time to work on your subjects :yep:

(Original post by pineapplepink)
Higher:
English
Geography
French
Music
Chemistry
Glad to hear they all went well!
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, I failed 2nd one of my prelim which is higher english So idk if I should do exam at this point this year. I was thinking of doing it for 2 years (units this year and exam next year) cause I don’t want to do higher exam this year at this point. Or retake nat 5 (btw the interesting fact is that 2 people barely got a C and rest got Ds and Fs which is the same as in admin which is really interesting)

I now heard from my pal that most higher business peeps got less than 35 marks in section 2.

I seriously don’t know if my school and teachers are s**t and it’s time to change school...

Such coincidence....

So now my emote should be:
Last edited by Kubsyy; 2 weeks ago
pineapplepink
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Glad to hear they all went well!
thanks!
Labrador99
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kubsyy)
Well, I failed 2nd one of my prelim which is higher english So idk if I should do exam at this point this year. I was thinking of doing it for 2 years (units this year and exam next year) cause I don’t want to do higher exam this year at this point. Or retake nat 5 (btw the interesting fact is that 2 people barely got a C and rest got Ds and Fs which is the same as in admin which is really interesting)

I now heard from my pal that most higher business peeps got less than 35 marks in section 2.

I seriously don’t know if my school and teachers are s**t and it’s time to change school...

Such coincidence....

So now my emote should be:
Sorry to hear English didn't go so well :console:

English is definitely a subject that a lot of people do not so great in for the prelim, and then improve a lot between now and the final exam, so it might be worth sticking in, especially if you're not too far off a pass. Generally, in English (unlike something like maths or a science), you cover all components of the course before the prelim, so you can get a full prelim...I think of it as sort of being like you have enough time to learn everything to a level where your understanding is incomplete (so you can complete all sections, but maybe not to your full potential), rather than (for example in science) focus on doing 2/3rds of the topics completely. It can therefore all sort of come together last minute, so quite a lot of people can have big changes in grades if they keep working hard at it until the exam.

Obviously it's up to you & your teachers to decide what's best, and there is nothing wrong at all with doing it over 2 years (other than having to sit inside an English classroom another year :lol:) (and you may not be doing the same texts next year, depending on your school's English department), but hopefully it's at least of some reassurance that it might be worth sticking in and seeing how you can do.

Spoiler:
Show

Just posted this in the maths thread- if you're not sure what to do, lots of it still applies to other subjects, and might help you figure it out
SchuylerSister22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Highers
Maths
English
Music
French
Business
Voaly
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nat 5s:
Computing
Physics
Admin & IT
Engineering Science
Practical Woodworking
English
Kubsyy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Update:

So I got last of my results which is business(I’m waiting for ESOL but it won’t matter anyway)

So
Nat 5 spanish - A
H business - C (My teacher was off for a month so we got nothing done anyways)
H admin - F (I’m getting second try at prelim btw 😁)
H English - F
Nat 5 Maths - I’ll find out next year 😂

So I knew that it would happen with english but also dissapointed with other subjects as I wanted to get a B in them but oh well. Time to move on.

But I’m so happy that I’m resitting admin prelim
Last edited by Kubsyy; 1 week ago
AC79
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

E.g.
Nat 5 English
Higher Geography
Nat 5 Physics
Higher Maths
Higher Physics
Adv. Higher Art - has no prelim/exam but I've been given a grade on my report -
Adv. Higher Biology
Adv. Higher Chemistry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (403)
67.96%
No (190)
32.04%

Watched Threads